We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas/ new year 2013

cheshire
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
christmas/ new year 2013

Hi, Anyone help thinking of going to Nerja/ malaga christmas New Year 1 week at each anyone recommend which way to do it, read that Nerja is dead New Year, is this so ?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas/ new year 2013

I think you'd be best doing Nerja for Christmas and Málaga City for New Year, mainly because Málaga has spectacular celebrations on New Year's Eve and then is full of life all night.

If you've not been in Spain before at this time of year it's important to remember that NYE is the opposite way around to the UK, the evening is family-time (usually over a long meal) and so most places are closed until later. Everyone comes onto the streets at 11:30 to see in the New Year and then the partying starts.

Nerja has Christmas Parades, and it also has a Santa Procession on Christmas Eve (unusual in Spain as the presents aren't given until the 6th Jan) so it should be quite lively in the build-up to Christmas, and it's also a popular area over Christmas for visitors to the caves.

Anecdotal evidence from last year is that Nerja was reasonably busy over the Christmas and New Year period and then went very quiet after Reyes (6th Jan.) until mid-Feb. This is similar to most resorts along the CdS in winter these days due to the financial situation throughout Europe. Obviously it's difficult to predict what the situation will be like this coming Christmas but I think you could get very long odds on it being better than it is at the moment.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 22:35
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas/ new year 2013

I'd go to malaga for new year. I have spent many new years in nerja. Once new year passed the town was like a ghost town from the 2nd Jan onwards. Nye was fun but we were glad to get to Malaga. In nerja many bars and restaurants were closed, others you were the only customer it was way quieter than I have ever known. As much as I like nerja next nye I'll be in Malaga.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,212 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: christmas/ new year 2013

trudie:

Malaga has wonderful Christmas lights with 4 million bulbs. The downtown is like a fairyland with all those lights.

New Year's Eve is centered at the Plaza de la Constitucion, with live entertainment.

cheshire
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: christmas/ new year 2013

Thanks for your comments, do you know anything about Villa Flamenca Nerja, at Christmas, re food and entertainment, if we did B&B would we be able to find restaurants open Christmas Day , Boxing day, or would we be better half board.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: christmas/ new year 2013

There will be some restaurants open on Christmas Day, definitely Chinese or Indian. Many English bars have traditional Christmas dinner but only if pre-booked. Boxing Day is not a holiday in Spain so everything will be open as normal.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: christmas/ new year 2013

Christmas Day shouldn't be a problem, but you'll have to plan Christmas Eve (have a long lunch!) as the Spanish-owned restaurants will be closed in the evening (it's family-time, like NYE). Most of the non-Spanish places should be open though.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
308 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: christmas/ new year 2013

Hi went to nerja for new year for the first time and loved it live music fireworks dancing till early hours of the morning resturants open had to wait to get a table been to benidorm for new year much prefer nerja can't wait to go back malaga sounds good to what ever you choose you will have a great time

cheshire
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: christmas/ new year 2013

thankyou so much for all your replies.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: christmas/ new year 2013

Hi suetwin,what a coincidence but the other way round,,,I usually favour Benidorm for christmas/new-year but was thinking of going to Nerja this year for a change,it sounds like fun how u described your experience,I may start pricing it up after beni in may..Thanks for the tip...Linda.

Darwen, Lancashire
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: christmas/ new year 2013

Hi all, i've been to Nerja many times in November, but this year we've booked for Christmas (December 21st-28th)

Can anybody recomend a good restaurant/bar for Christmas dinner? Spanish or English it doesn't matter.

Any advice would be welcome :D

Get answers to your questions about Nerja
Recent Conversations