We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advance Warning - Viajes urbis / Travel Republic Transfers

Belfast
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Advance Warning - Viajes urbis / Travel Republic Transfers

Hi - just a word of warning if you have booked or intend to book a transfer nerja to malaga airport with Travel Republic or any other transfer company who use Viajes Urbis as their agent. We made a booking for our trip last week and when we rang to confirm the return pick up time for a flight departing at 1305 we were advised that our pick up time was 7.20am - I tried and tried without fail to reason with these people over the phone to arrange a more reasonable pick up as this was going to leave us in the airport for a long time - I was told that because it was a shuttle transfer there were other passengers being picked up to collect earlier flights and they refused to budge on the pick up time. It turned out that there were indeed two other couples being picked up and all of us were for flights leaving after 12.00. We arrived in the airport at 0825 and ended up wandering around like two halfwits for half the day. I'm posting this to advise you to check with the transfer company that this won't happen to you as, apart from anything else your last night is curtailed somewhat with such an early start for a reasonably civilised flight departure. Also, the customer service from Viajes Urbis stinks !!!!

76 replies to this topic
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advance Warning - Viajes urbis / Travel Republic Transfers

Your experience is unfortunate but sometimes it is what happens when you book a shuttle transfer and there are more people in the one area to pick up and perhaps the company errs on the side of caution to make sure they don't get stuck in traffic. I don't know if this is the case but it could be part of the reason. Perhaps they had people to pick up for the return trip? However, I do agree that 7.20am is perhaps a bit of an early start for an afternoon flight. Its a pity that you couldn't have left the luggage somewhere and perhaps popped into Malaga City for an hour or two to use up the time.

Hopefully if you use a shuttle company again you will have a better experience and you're right to advise people to double check with the shuttle company about timings. We always hire a car when we're in Spain so don't have the problem of transfers but we do know people who have had excellent experiences with Travel Republic.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advance Warning - Viajes urbis / Travel Republic Transfers

I've warned people about this in the past - one of the problems is that they want to dump you (you're going home, they don't care) so that they can be at the airport for bookings they have from incoming flights.

For anyone else who finds themselves in this situation, get the train into Málaga Maria Zambrano station (the main rail station, journey time only 8 minutes) where there is an excellent left-luggage service. Then toddle off into Málaga for a few hours, the trains are ultra-reliable so you can be sure you'll get back to the airport for your flight on time.

gwent
Level Contributor
310 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advance Warning - Viajes urbis / Travel Republic Transfers

So there is something which could still go wrong? This is not good news, we've never been let down by TR in the past!

Gogo! I'm hitching a ride with you!! :D

Level Contributor
733 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advance Warning - Viajes urbis / Travel Republic Transfers

We have just used Travel Republic for our transfers and we were happy with them, we booked a shuttle transfer for 5 passengers and we had a mini bus each way. We had 7 passengers on the journey to Nerja and our party of 5 on the return journey. We had to wait around 20 mins for the 2 other passengers on the journey to Nerja. On the return to the airport we were picked up at 9am for a 12 noon flight we were a bit nervous that they would get us there in time but we had ample time to check in and look around duty free. The transfer company was Autosol Bus Directo.

So sorry your pick up was so early.

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
984 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advance Warning - Viajes urbis / Travel Republic Transfers

I suppose a shuttle is not a taxi and to give you a fare that is much cheaper than a taxi they have to accomodate the pick ups of groups of people rather than one individual couple/ family and therefore someone is usually going to have less suitable times. At least you were there early my worry would be potentially getting there late.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,239 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advance Warning - Viajes urbis / Travel Republic Transfers

I must admit I would be rather upset if I was collected at 7.20am for a1pm flight, even though I do like to be early, and always allow extra time for any hold ups on the roads.

I've only ever used shuttle transfers when arriving in Spain, as opposed to leaving, but have never had the slightest problem. Minibuses have been clean, drivers have waited when my flight has been late, and in most cases we have been the only passengers.

I'm pretty sure Viajes Urbis were the agent once when we had to change the transfer date due to flight rescheduling for a public strike. They were reaally good and changed the booking with no charge.

Belfast
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advance Warning - Viajes urbis / Travel Republic Transfers

I never had a problem with Travel Republic before - in fact even when i rang them to double check the pick up time they were more than helpful - Under normal circumstances i would have taken advantage of the situation and indulged in a bit of retail therapy in Malaga but my husband was incapacitated with a leg injury so that wasn't an option. My biggest issue apart from the obvious early pick up, was the obnoxious and unhelpful staff in Viajes Urbis :-)

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advance Warning - Viajes urbis / Travel Republic Transfers

We are due to use this service for a return transfer tomorrow from nerja to malaga. Our flight time is 10.30am and our pick up time at the hotel is 07.40am.. it is going to take an hour to get to the airport, assuming there are no other stops so it looks like we will have just over 1hour from our arrival at the airport until our departure. This seems like we will be cutting it very fine and I am more than a bit concerned. Does anyone know if there is anything you can do besides just getting a cab instead?

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,521 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advance Warning - Viajes urbis / Travel Republic Transfers

Can you not call Travel Republic and ask them for an earlier pick up? It does sound a really tight timescale and if something happens on the motorway or the company are later than 7.40am then you could be in trouble and miss the flight! If they can't get you an earlier pick up, I'd ask them for a refund of the return costs and book a taxi to pick you up to get you to the airport 2 hours before your flight.

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advance Warning - Viajes urbis / Travel Republic Transfers

I have emailed them directly to ask for an earlier pick up. Giving them 30 mins to get back to me or I'll have to start phoning them... great way to spend the last day of the holiday :(

Reply to: Advance Warning - Viajes urbis / Travel Republic Transfers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nerja
Recent Conversations