We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old folk?

Wakefield, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Old folk?

We are thinking of a trip to Nerja later this year September maybe. Hotel Riu Monica looks good.

But what is the town like for old folk not good on their legs.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
636 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old folk?

Really it's a case of how 'not good on their legs'. Some of Nerja is quite hilly - especially getting to and from some of the beaches, but the Monica end is your best bet for a flat promenade and easy access to the beaches there.

September is a great month to visit - still warm, but not with the intense heat of July/August.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old folk?

The great advantage of the Monica in your situation is that the main entrance at street level is much higher than beach level, so you can use the lift (but still some steps too) down to beach level. It's a bit of a walk up to the Balcón, but only a few gentle slopes on the way.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old folk?

Whoops! Doble post, beach WeeFee issues.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 12:54
Wakefield, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Old folk?

We are in our early 70's I'm o/k on my legs. But the wife has just had a DVT in her leg and is not very mobile.

We don't know how long it takes to clear.

morecambe England
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old folk?

Also possible is the hotel Balcon de Europa,which also has a lift down to beach level,and has flat access to

the centre of town -20 metres ! . But make sure you book a room with a sea view and balcony.You will hardly need to go anywhere! Whatever,enjoy your holiday.

Leeds
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old folk?

Just another option. The Parador is a flat 10 min walk into centre and the views, gardens and pool areas are lovely. We stay in Burriana but not for the faint hearted if legs a bit dodgy. Called in Parador for coffee on way back. I think they do offers for senior guests. Love Nerja.

manchester
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Old folk?

Hi Raymond

Monica sounds perfect for you both. Good Hotel on a fairly flat location. A few nice bars over the road for a cool drink or a nice cup of tea and a couple of small supermarkets for water etc.Its right on Torecilla Beach too which has a short Promenade for a nice stroll anytime. (Watch out for the occasional step either going up or down. I was fortunate and fell up them. OUCH ). Think the Hotel and location will suit you both but no need to miss out on the old town somedays. Take one of the regular busses from right outside the Monica up to Plaza Cantarero (Orange Square) and have a wander around the top end of town.About €1 each. Its fairly quiet and level around there but do watch for kerbs and cracked paving etc.Its a nice downhill stroll back to th Monica from there you just have to watch steps.

Hope helps

Una

Wakefield, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Old folk?

Thank you Una and everyone else, you are all very helpful.

This is a good forum, very nice people and very useful information.

Ray

Level Contributor
272 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old folk?

I agree the Parador or the Monica are the best choices. Have stayed at both and enjoyed them equally.

Have a wonderful time.

Alison

Wakefield, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Old folk?

We will when she's well enough to travel again.

Get answers to your questions about Nerja
Recent Conversations