We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Authentic' spanish town but not too expensive a hotel ?

Scotland
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
'Authentic' spanish town but not too expensive a hotel ?

I am looking for accommodation for one week at end of September '06 and have surfed for days and am getting confused. Does anyone have a recommendation for a chill out week location before we join a tour of Andulucia in October? Trying to please a partner criteria is: POOL, old town within walking distance for restaurants at night, NO HIRING OF CAR, within a taxi drive from our tour base in Torriemalinos, not too expensive, nice and quiet?? So far have found the Hotel Mijas, looks great, seems to fit the bill, but its a wee bit expensive. Any suggestions ? Is Nerja too far for a cab from Torrimalinos ?

Thanks to all brains out there.

Dolly

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Authentic' spanish town but not too expensive a hotel ?

Hello Dolly,

To answer one of your questions, yes Nerja is too far away from Torremolinos by taxi. It's approx a 1 hour + journey.

If you want to stay around the Torremolinos area look for towns nearby, like Benalmadena or Mijas.

Don't know enough about that area to advise you but do know that if you are looking for a charming 'Old town' type location, Torremolinos is not the place. It has improved in recent years but is still a large 'tourist' destination, with masses of high rise buildings, fast food outlets etc etc.

Check out www.ownersdirect.co.uk for private villa/apartment rentals. I'm sure you can find a nice reasonably priced place, in a quiet location for much less than you would pay for a Hotel.

If your tour is starting on the Eastern Costa Del Sol, then Nerja is a great place to base yourselves. You would be spoilt for choice for accommodation, restaurants, bars etc. Plus you would have an 'Old Town' to stroll around. You would also have the villages of Frigiliana & Maro to visit, both a short bus/taxi ride from Nerja.

Good luck with your search, maybe you should ask the question on the Andalusia forum.

Carole.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Authentic' spanish town but not too expensive a hotel ?

Taxi fare from Torremolinos to Nerja about 80 Euros.

Bus from Torremolinos to Malaga a couple of Euros and bus from Malaga to Nerja around 3.48 Euros but takes over an hour unless you can get the occasional Direct Service.

However, wouldn´t call Nerja late September a chill out destination.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Authentic' spanish town but not too expensive a hotel ?

Hi Dolly. Just 300 yards up the road from Hotel Mijas is the stunning La Ermita complex, owned by a Scot, Donald MacDonald. There are special deals on offer there - 59 pounds a couple for a week. I know it sounds too good to be true, but my wife and I put it to the test in Janurary and were delighted with every aspect of our stay.

macdonald-resorts.co.uk/timeshare/inspection…

Scotland
Level Contributor
81 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Authentic' spanish town but not too expensive a hotel ?

Thanks to all replies.

Have checked out the Owners Abroad site, very attractive properties, but in Mijas area they would require a hire car to reach restaurants/bars. Tony, I tried to find Ermita since you mentioned it in a previous reply, so thanks for the links... I'm still surfing, but with more focus - on Mijas

Cheers,

Dolly

Wet and windy Glasgow

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Authentic' spanish town but not too expensive a hotel ?

Casaiandra. Well, I chilled out in Nerja September and October for 10 years. Apart from getting there from Torry, I would have thought that fitted the bill.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Authentic' spanish town but not too expensive a hotel ?

Each entitled to our own opinion JCB! We had 3 nights in Nerja at the end of September last year - had property in the town for 10 years before we moved in 2002 - and found it SO much busier than we remembered. Quieter than Torremolinos of course and still got a great deal going for it but, although we will always have a very soft spot for the town, just not chilled out enough for us now until after the season ends.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Authentic' spanish town but not too expensive a hotel ?

Each entitled to our own opinion JCB! We had 3 nights in Nerja at the end of September last year - had property in the town for 10 years before we moved in 2002 - and found it SO much busier than we remembered. Quieter than Torremolinos of course and still got a great deal going for it but, although we will always have a very soft spot for the town, just not chilled out enough for us now until after the season ends.

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Authentic' spanish town but not too expensive a hotel ?

I absolutely agree, but Dollypond is trying to find 'chill out' and 'authentic' with a choice between Mijas and and Nerja.

I'm not suggesting my opinion is more valid but maybe the point to the question is being missed here.

Or, Is Mijas indeed more 'chill out' or 'authentic' material? Maybe things have changed, If so I didn't notice last year.

Nerja
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 'Authentic' spanish town but not too expensive a hotel ?

Mijas is also known as little england !!!! You don't have to speak Spanish!!!!! bit same as nerja.. move in with the donkeys (about 2,000 re-homed so far) at www.sepe-nerja.org

enjoy

10. Re: 'Authentic' spanish town but not too expensive a hotel ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2016, 11:00
Get answers to your questions about Nerja
Recent Conversations