We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Similar to nerja?

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Similar to nerja?

Hi,

Had a fantastic hol to nerja last year particularly enjoyed the restaurants & tapas bars. However did not enjoy the dirty sea and so will not be returning until this is resolved. Can anyone recommend a similar resort in the Malaga region. Considering Marbella but looks v expensive. Any advice would be very welcome.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Similar to nerja?

A little further from the airport,but closer to Granada,why not try going East? Almunecar, La Herradura or Salobrena.

Edited: 03 September 2013, 11:38
Suffolk
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Similar to nerja?

We loved La Herradura went twice last week, lovely bay, clear water carried out some research once back and cannot find any negative reports especially about the sea, I think we'll end up there or towards Almunecar next year.

london
Level Contributor
405 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Similar to nerja?

It's probably worth bearing in mind that that sea at Nerja is the same sea to be found all along the coasts of Costa del Sol. Marbella is probably about the least similar resort to Nerja along the coast - the towns have very little in common in terms of a holiday. The resorts to the East as mentioned above suit you better if you want smaller towns.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Similar to nerja?

This is my worry about La Herradura, is it far enough away from Nerja's waste pipe!

5. Re: Similar to nerja?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2013, 19:35
Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
441 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Similar to nerja?

No such place as carehela. Do you mean La Carihuela which is an area within Torremolinos? If so, I wouldn't describe Torremolinos as at all similar to Nerja. As it couldn't be described as "very Spanish" it probably isn't what you meant by Carehela. Can you clarify the name of the place?

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Similar to nerja?

hello yes that is the place its a small part of torremolinoss almost a section on its own as its between benal and the main town of toremolinos. we found it very Spanish, some dutch places as i said but for food places it was first class and tapas and drinks and the views etec. lovely.

Trish

ireland
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Similar to nerja?

Thanks for the advice everyone it's very much appreciated. Ill check out the costa tropical, I remember somebody telling me last year that the water around la herradura isn't contaminated like nerja. Such a shame i can't believe it's even allowed in this day & age.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Similar to nerja?

< I wouldn't describe Torremolinos as at all similar to Nerja >

Neither would I! Torremolinos isn't over-run with British & Irish expats for a start.

Yep, we have the Playamar Towers that you see when you're landing at AGP, controversial when built in '68 but hey, they're still there and if you want an apartamento then once in a while the odd one is available at around €300k upwards.

We also have some big hotels by the beach, at Montemar and Playamar, with all sorts in between, if that's what you want.

We also don't mind too much when the Malagueños remind us that for part of the 20th century we were a suburb of Málaga - the youngsters insist on piling out to the chiringuitos at Los Álamos, the families seem happy to pack everywhere out for Saturday or Sunday lunch at La Carihuela whilst the kids play on the beach.

Of course what we don't have (and I hope none of us ever will) is Hyacinth Bucket visiting us,

Edited: 04 September 2013, 00:14
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Similar to nerja?

"

"over-run with British & Irish expats for a start. "

This is and never was my experience of Nerja either . It is it´s Spanish atmosphere that made me holiday often and also live there for a few years .I found all nationalities in Nerja , many Argentinians, one or two Belgian owned apartment blocks,( I was in one of these a couple of years.) Scandinavians,French,American.............

I lived in a block of flats for a couple of years in which I was the only non Spanish person there! I They were very friendly and never made me feel like a "foreigner" .Most of the shops etc around me were Spanish owned.

Nerja caters for most nationalities in its bars and eateries and I found that the Spanish also enjoyed the diversity. It used to amuse me greatly on such like as St Patricks Day to see Spaniards enjoying their Guiness and wearing the silly hats ! :-) They also seemed to have embraced Halloween??

I couldn´t really recommend anywhere similar to Nerja. I never found anywhere.