We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halloween in Nerja

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
HMA7507
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Halloween in Nerja

Hi,

We are visiting Nerja for the first time at the end of October, and will be there over Halloween with a 1 and 6 year old.

Are there child friendly parties or events on, and is it worth us packing fancy dress outfits for the children?

Thanks in advance.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halloween in Nerja

Until recently there was nothing going on on the night of 31st October, and what my grandmother and mother would do on 1st November is go to the cemetery to pay tribute to the deceased loved ones. There are also traditional sweets that are made and eaten on that day, one of the most popular being the "saint bone" (I know, I know, it sounds eschatological).

Recently, and sadly I may add, this tradition is being lost among the younger generation and we have also imported the American Halloween: you really see many kids dressed in outfits and even performing the infamous trick-or-treating.

Besides this, Nerja has a significant English population that will celebrate Halloween in some way or the other.

So if you fancy bring your dresses, I'm sure they will love it (your kids I mean).

HMA7507
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halloween in Nerja

Thanks for the reply. I am not wanting any trick or treating, but the kids would love to dress up.

I saw a couple of things about "Maroween" in Maro, but can't find anything for this year and not sure how child suitable it would be anyway.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,479 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halloween in Nerja

www.thefreedictionary.com/eschatological MacP please stop teachng me English LOL

Nerja
Destination Expert
for Nerja
Level Contributor
548 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Halloween in Nerja

Maroween, which combines Halloween with the traditional Horse Chestnut and Sweet Potato Festival, is ideal for kids, probably more so than many other places.

The action takes place in the main square and there is a costume parade and entertainment as well as plenty to eat and drink. It is good fun for all.

They usually start stoking up the fires for the chestnuts around 6pm.

HMA7507
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halloween in Nerja

Thanks. It's definitely on this year then, could only find ads and flyers from 2011 and 2012.

Sounds like the kind of thing I am after.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halloween in Nerja

Hi, forgive me for butting in, but is Maroween celebrated on the 31st or 1st ?

Thanks.

Nerja
Destination Expert
for Nerja
Level Contributor
548 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Halloween in Nerja

31st, Halloween. Nov 1st is All Saints Day, a public holiday.

Manchester
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halloween in Nerja

Maroween is noted on www.nerjatoday website for this year.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halloween in Nerja

mantalk,

It is a word widely used in Spanish that happens to exist in English... LOL

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Halloween in Nerja

The shops are full of Halloween costumes at the moment. So if you are arriving a few days before the 31st you can buy them here. I saw a load in the Chinese shop this morning.