We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The " Car Hire " mine field !!!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
The " Car Hire " mine field !!!!

Hello to all,

just a quick question, booking a car for 7 days in late december, we are looking at Malagacar.com and I would like to know if anybody has recent experience with them, they do a 50/50 tank of gas, and most of the info seems positive, but at the same time, second opinions are always welcome.

We appreciate any advice also any companys who are not a rip off. Collecting the car in Malaga airport and drop off in the same airport.

Regards

Ana

Mentioned in this post
Malaga Airport
Malaga Airport
Malaga, Spain
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The " Car Hire " mine field !!!!

I recommend Helle Hollis, used them in September, great price, great service, full/full fuel available or they will refund for each 1/4 tank you return. Mantalk and Alinbenalmadena both use HH frequently and have Owners Codes for 15% discount that they allow members to use.

Also, avoid Firefly, dreadful company - one of the most complained about, Marbesol too. If you look through all the car hire threads you will see lots of complaints about lots of companies. Some may be true, customer service can be very poor with some companies but if you read the T&Cs properly and stick to the rules you will be fine. Many will pressurise you into taking the excess cover for tyres and windscreens etc, you do not have to if you don't want to and you can buy your own in the UK. You will still have to leave a deposit on your credit card but you will then be covered and can claim back any charges made for damage from your insurance policy.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Marbesol
Marbesol
352 Reviews
Province of Malaga, Spain
Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The " Car Hire " mine field !!!!

hi there

i use malagacar all the time. unless i get the bus. they have always treated me well and i find them very competative

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The " Car Hire " mine field !!!!

Helle Hollis all the way, use the discount codes if you can. I have one if required. Always had excellent service, I just fill up on way back to airport. No payment taken at booking all done on arrival. Malagacar get good reviews too. I believe Firefly is new name for another company whose name I can't remember but they were so badly rated they changed names. I have used others in past without problem but like to use HH if price is close.

Picking my next one up in just a few days yippee.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
30,048 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The " Car Hire " mine field !!!!

Malagacar are a good local company. As is this one which I use.

www.marbesol.com

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,968 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The " Car Hire " mine field !!!!

Lordkimmage, you must be one of very few who would recommend Marbesol, there's a long thread of complaints on here, so its good to know that they do have at least one satisfied customer.

Mentioned in this post
Marbesol
Marbesol
352 Reviews
Province of Malaga, Spain
UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The " Car Hire " mine field !!!!

Malagacar.com have a good reputation as do malagacarhire.com. Most of the reviews are pretty good with these two (malagacarhire are a broker that use Niza cars). If you want total hassle free car hire guaranteed, then try Helle Hollis. If you use the code H6486 you will get another 15% off the price.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: The " Car Hire " mine field !!!!

Will throw my hat in the ring. Will always recommend José at www.doyouspain.com I have a liking for Sixt who are based at the airport. I always take full/full fuel option. Returned my Ford Fiesta last Sunday having done just over 1100 kms in 13 days. Nice car, nice people to deal with. No hassles so long as you read the T&Cs as mentioned by Ceejayblue above.

Saludos. Lindsay

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The " Car Hire " mine field !!!!

Sorry brain not my own at the moment. Car returned Tuesday not Sunday.

Lindsay

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
458 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The " Car Hire " mine field !!!!

We've rented from Malagacar.com many times and they've never let us down.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
16,945 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The " Car Hire " mine field !!!!

On that mileage Lindsay why dont you take the cheaper cars on Full/Empty? You are obviously using the tankful plus.

I pick my next one up from Malagacar.com on the 5th nov. It will be my 3rd time with them. HH are my preferred but price wasnt close this time.

Get answers to your questions about Nerja