We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to eat/drink alone in comfort?!

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to eat/drink alone in comfort?!

Hola all,

I am really looking forward to a week of 'me time' in Nerja next month, after a great family Christmas break. I am, however, a little bit apprehensive about going to places for lunch/dinner/drinks on my own as I may feel a bit self-conscious, even with a good book to keep me company! I know, it may seem silly but I am just not used to that, and have not been abroad by myself since I was 23 (I'm now approaching 40!!).

I would really appreciate any tips on easy-going, friendly places to go as a solo female. I already have a couple of places I will be very comfortable in but would welcome any further recommendations. Muchas Gracias!

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to eat/drink alone in comfort?!

Hi Mairi,

I live here with my partner but often go out alone to eat or have a coffee. There are loads of places which are very pleasant - the Spanish don't seem to have the same intimidating attitude to lone females in bars and cafes as you often find in the UK. A few of the places I go to are Jamaica, Don Juan and La Forja all on C. Meditteraneo, Mirasol at the bottom of C Malaga, and outside at the Balcon de Europa hotel. Irish Annies is popular and very friendly too, and you would probably find yourself chatting and enjoying he company rather than reading. Enjoy your trip - I,m sure you'll have a lovely time.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to eat/drink alone in comfort?!

Aw, thank you so much, your post has reassured me so much! I know it seems silly but hanging out on my own in Edinburgh bars and restaurants just has not ever happened so it is a tad daunting. Looking forward to my week now though, the last time I properly ate out alone was in Athens in 1997!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to eat/drink alone in comfort?!

Mairi:

There are many women who travel by themselves now and you will see many in Nerja. No one will bother them.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to eat/drink alone in comfort?!

I used to spend months of my own in Nerja before I finally went to live there in 2007. It is somewhere I always felt safe and happy.This is more that I can say of my home town here! When you are on your own you see more and has been said,often get to know people. I met someone who became my best friend ever there! Though I returned to the UK in 2012,I still go out there and stay with her whenever possible.

Enjoy your adventures !! :-)

Edited: 15 January 2014, 07:45
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to eat/drink alone in comfort?!

For the most part you will go unnoticed.

You might get the odd uncalled for attention from some men, and while I'd die of embarrassment before making any kind of addressment to a lone female in that way, I usually hear to what those men say to other males near you about you, or to you yourself, and it is usually harmless and even funny. Things like:

"It looks like the Major inaugurated a new monument in Nerja today"

"My lord these <put nationality he thinks you are> come very well manufactured"

"Ole (Spanish interjection) the lovely girl"

And things like that.

But again, for the most part you will have a lovely and safe time down here.

Scotland
Level Contributor
290 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to eat/drink alone in comfort?!

Hi Mairi, I am a 45 year old female & I have visited Nerja frequently in the last couple of years due to family purchasing property there. I have visited both alone and with friends and family. I feel very comfortable eating out alone and am more than happy to stroll around town during the evening, it's very safe. I've not really ventured out for evening drinks alone other than on Burriana which is the area I stay in. Had a quick day trip here over New Year as was in Marbella for a week with friends and there are a few places closed for holidays, especially on Burriana but still enough going on in Nerja town. I'm sure you'll have a great time, enjoy! I'm looking forward to my next visit in March.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to eat/drink alone in comfort?!

Thanks so much to all of you for the reassurance and helpful advice! So looking forward to my break now...

tipperary
Level Contributor
115 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places to eat/drink alone in comfort?!

definitely recommend Pinnochio's and Lang Sang. Any restaurant realy,you will feel safe in Nerja

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places to eat/drink alone in comfort?!

Thanks again, adding to my list now, plenty of choices!

10. Re: Best places to eat/drink alone in comfort?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 05:17