We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nerja Beach Businesses Ordered to Close

A M
Benalmadena, Spain
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Nerja Beach Businesses Ordered to Close

costa-news.com/costa-del-sol-news/item/2467-…

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,353 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nerja Beach Businesses Ordered to Close

Its such a shame, those businesses have been there for so long and made money for their owners and provided somewhere for locals and visitors to go and enjoy themselves. When the new development is built it will change the whole atmosphere of the place, not necessarily for the better, and increase the amount of people using water in the area which then that will impact on the new sewage plant, so I hope they've taken that into account!

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nerja Beach Businesses Ordered to Close

I have heard that the bar/restaurant owners have engaged lawyers and for the time being will continue to trade.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,353 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nerja Beach Businesses Ordered to Close

Let's hope they can trade for a long time. Would be nice to think that they could be incorporated into the new development when its built, but the rents would probably be too high for them to be able to afford them.:(

Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nerja Beach Businesses Ordered to Close

Such a shame if they close.....a visit to Nerja won't be the same without a visit to Chiringuito Mauri.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nerja Beach Businesses Ordered to Close

Would be shame to see them go. I use them most weeks. A lot of questions arise. but basically these are illegal, unregulated businesses. Neither town hall nor the state have a handle on them so there is no tax revenue etc etc. its not really fair on the other businesses in town. On the other hand they are in the same category as all those chiriguitos en burriana. I wonder how much tax Ayo pays and the rest?? i noticed while breakfasting at Ayos this morning that they only accept cash. Does anyone care to estimate how much Ayos takes on a good day or a bad one for that matter? well his cousin Pepe Mesa on the playazo does a similar trade at the weekends. these place make lot of money and it is right IMO that there should be control..

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nerja Beach Businesses Ordered to Close

Ken I think you are being very naive if you think it is only the beach bars that are cash business s that then evade tax in Nerja or indeed the whole of Spain. I have been visiting Mauris (they do take cards) for 16 years and do not want to be forced into the town every night where I am surrounded by tourists and ice cream parlours.

Sorry but if these and similar places disappear from Nerja I shall seek out alternatives and leave you to the plastic Spain Nerja town is becoming.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nerja Beach Businesses Ordered to Close

I did not say they were the only cash business, just that as illegal businesses they do not pay IBI and (minimal admitted) staff contracts which the others in town do have to pay. Like i said it would be a shame to see them go, but I add that after living and working in spain for 20 years I would be more stupid that naive to actually believe that they really will .;)

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nerja Beach Businesses Ordered to Close

Like Jono we enjoy the authentic atmosphere that Mauri provides and avoid the 'Plastic areas' as much as we can. Thankfully Nerja is a lot less 'Plastic' than most of the Costa Del Sol and hopefully over development will not spoil the 'feel of the town'...but I am only hopeful.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nerja Beach Businesses Ordered to Close

It's such a shame.... but enjoy them while you can guys and gals !! Is it because the developers need the land for the new project at Playazo? (can never spell that right)

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/news/axarquia…

If this is what's being built etc it will surely change the dynamic of Nerja for good....

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,353 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nerja Beach Businesses Ordered to Close

Whilst the new development may well improve the area where its being built it does make me wonder at what cost to the town itself and the businesses there and along the other beaches? What attracts people to Nerja is the fact that it has kept some of its intrinsic Spanish charm (much loved by the Brits and Irish expats) and I hope this won't be lost when they start enlarging the town in this way.

Get answers to your questions about Nerja
Recent Conversations