We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

riu monica

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
doncaster
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
riu monica

Does anybody know what's happening to Riu Monica next winter? Have tried to book for November 2014 but no availability. There is no availability from end of October until 1st March. According to Thomsons it is fully booked which I can't believe . There is no way every room is booked for 4 months.

Is it closing for refurb?

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: riu monica

Hi there

They more than likely haven't set the rates or availability for that period yet, have you tried calling them?

doncaster
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: riu monica

spoke to thomsons, who say it's fully booked

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: riu monica

IHmmm, strange, I just tried the RIU site just to check and it said the rates had not been set yet, I would phone the RIU - they are the people that would know for definite, not Thomson.

Good luck, let us know how you get on :)

Chorley
Level Contributor
663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: riu monica

There was availability when I looked a few weeks ago for December, but now has you say there is nothing over that 5 month period. I think you will find that they are having some remedial works carried out. Its fine as it is in my opinion.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,189 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: riu monica

I called up the Riu Monica and they said the hotel is closed until March 1, 2015, because of remodeling.

doncaster
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: riu monica

Thanks for replies. The Hotel has now confirmed to me it is closed from 1st Nov to 28th Feb

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
648 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: riu monica

Poor Monica she does need a bit of a facelift.Three years ago I was there at the end September & when I got home I booked for the following year for October with no problem. But you know now that it is closed for refurb. I will be there in five weeks, going for a bit of late winter sun ( hopefully)

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,087 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: riu monica

RIU refurbished the Nautilus in Torremolinos last winter ( 12/13 ) and it now looks fantastic, they've spent a fortune on it. Interestingly, post-refurb it's now adults-only (as in 'no under 18s' not as in dodgy fleapit cinema).

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,917 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: riu monica

Try the Hotel Perla Marina just a few minutes walk away. It's four star too.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: riu monica

I rate very highly the Riu brand and its hotels are of a consistent standard.I have stayed twice at the Monica also stayed at Nautilus in Torremolinos/Benalmadena,Bonanza Playa in Majorca,Tres Islas in Fuerteventura.Monica was the worst but it was not disastrous by any means.A refurb wouldn't go amiss.I also stayed at Hotel Balcon de Europa in Nerja and in most respects it wasn't a patch on Monica-food especially.