We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tv reception

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
morecambe England
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
tv reception

Stuck in wet UK at the moment.What news of the BBC change ?

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
441 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tv reception

No reception now on any BBC channels. My 1m dish has no signal.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tv reception

This thread might be of interest: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187435-i317-k71…

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tv reception

All BBC channels are now broadcast on the UK spot beam from Astra 2F.

ITV , and all the "4" channels i.e. 4, Film 4, E4 etc will be moving early next week. These channels WILL NOT be received in Nerja or anywhere else in southern Spain by any size satellite dish.

A M
Benalmadena, Spain
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tv reception

Hooked up a Horizon meter to a THREE METRE dish on top of a 10-storey apartment block in Benalmadena this morning. There is a very weak signal from the UK spot beam of Astra 2E/F but absolutely no chance of getting a watchable picture from it.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 16:51
Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tv reception

Thank heavens for ADSL for sure :) Mind you, i don't watch TV when I'm in the UK anyway so it wouldn't affect me, but i can see why some are concerned.

I am sure the Bar owners will have sorted something out well in advance as everyone knew this day was coming - wonder what they have as a solution, e.g. The Lounge etc... any news on the ground Mike?

Oops. was meant in the other thread, got myself all confused for a minute... doh!

Edited: 07 February 2014, 17:24
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tv reception

The Lounge and many other bars have been getting football etc from Saudi Arabia via internet for a long time. More because its cheaper than Sky but also due to fragmentation of suppliers eg. BT sport having some games, Sky others etc.

morecambe England
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tv reception

Many thanks for the info. I guess one of my techie sons will sort it out !!

Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: tv reception

I know DBS on Calle Cristo and others will have football and BBC rugby tomorrow

norfolk
Level Contributor
421 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tv reception

for an old technophobe like myself what are the possible solutions.we were getting the freeview channels through a sky box.we have no landline in the house.

Alicante, Spain
Level Contributor
7 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tv reception

Whatever you do be careful! Avoid the "DODGY XBMC BOX SELLERS" they are selling $20 Chinese boxes that rely on XBMC to provide tv once they have taken your money they ignore your calls. I used to have SKY TV in Nerja and then in the bedrooms had FREESAT TV although now the BBC and ITV signals are no longer available.

Dodge the dodgy XBMC box sellers in Nerja and the Costa del Sol, we have heard of loads of people making the wrong decision, any box called android, smart tv, super tv or anyone that says FREE SKY SPORTS or FREE movies is probably selling these useless XBMC, Raspberry PI or Android boxes that are useless.

At the moment even a 3M dish will struggle to get BBC1 or ITV so with many people looking at IPTV many fly by night set up overnight traders are cashing in by selling useless android and xbmc boxes. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE.