We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pottery

Vancouver
Level Contributor
81 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Pottery

I am interested in finding small pottery bowls to use as oven to table ware.. I have had lasagna served in this type of dish at Little Italy. Can anyone tell me where I might find this type of pottery?

Thank you.

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pottery

Hi

you can find all types of pottery dishes at the Tues market.However, I usually buy mine in the pottery shop at the top of Calle Chaparil, on the left hand corner. I found that in recent years the price in the shop was the same as buying in the market.Good range of stuff and they do the oven to table dishes too. (as do the market)

Edited: 14 February 2014, 08:51
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pottery

The markets have lots of pottery and ceramic stalls. Might be worth a try. There is also a ceramic shop in Nerja,not sure what street is called ,it was on a corner..I bought a little pottery pig there, the sort that they serve the "salchichas del infierno! " in Los Barriles. :-)

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pottery

We must have written our posts simultaneously Allie! :-) Too late to edit mine,great minds think alike!!??

The Chinese shops,supermarkets and some of the gift shops might be worth a try too. There ia also a professional sort of Kitchen Shop that sells stuff for restaurants ,bars etc? I used to see that on the way to Supersol.

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pottery

lol...sheila! no doubt we must browse the same places. Forgot about the chinese bizarres..yes of course they sell this sort of thing too>

Vancouver
Level Contributor
81 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pottery

Thank you very much Allie-red and Sheilamary3. I will go to these places and see what I can find. My husband is showing great signs of concern about the weight of 8 of these bowls on the long journey back home. I told him I will help by carrying 2 of them ;-) (joking)

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pottery

tell your husband there is a lovely place to have a tapa and a cold drink opposite the pottery shop I mentioned . That is where I park my husband while I browse the pottery shop. Enjoy :-)

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pottery

Do you mean cazuelas? (a cazuela is a terracotta dish, usually but not always round, of varying size).

http://tinyurl.com/oxrw38e

Any ferreteria will have reliable ones at a good price. Don't forget to season them before use!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
81 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pottery

NoSoyGuiri, that is exactly what I am looking for! Not sure what a ferreteria is, but I will sure find out. And also, how does one go about seasoning these dishes?

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pottery

www.orceserranohams.com/spanish-cazuelas/ The last paragraph of this article covers seasoning to prolong its life.

Ferreteria is an hardware or ironmongers store.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pottery

Sorry, a ferreteria is an ironmonger's / hardware shop!

Cazuelas are fantastically versatile provided you season or cure them first:

Soak them in cold water (fully submerged) for at least four hours, preferably overnight.

Then GENTLY heat each one on a hob (put some water in them so you can see how warm they are getting, once it starts to boil that's long enough).

Now they're ready for use, on the hob, under the grill, in the oven!

I couldn't do without mine.