We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tv signal

norfolk
Level Contributor
438 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
tv signal

is sky still available now the satellite has switched over or has that gone along with the uk channels?

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tv signal

Sky channels are still available (for now!).

norfolk
Level Contributor
438 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tv signal

is there some doubt then about the longer term?if not,might have to sign up for sky as the internet systems being touted seem very expensive.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tv signal

Quote from Skyinmadrid website

There is no guarantee that Sky's pay channels, such as Sports and Movies, will continue on wide beam. Sky may come under political, OFCOM or Hollywood pressure to send everything on narrow beam. BSkyB will be very reluctant to give up a huge source of revenue from mainland Europe. It is estimated that in excess of 5% of Sky's £3,751 million revenue, from its total of 10,536,000 customers, comes from expats living out of the UK. Expect more of the same easy reception for the time being.

http://www.skyinmadrid.com/pages/news.html

With a decent internet connection you can receive reasonable reception of UK channels through websites such as Filmon. There is no need to buy the expensive boxes and subscriptions being advertise. Even with a Sky subscription BBC and ITV are not included in any package.

norfolk
Level Contributor
438 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tv signal

thanks for that.sky wouldn't be the answer anyway as the mrs needs her soaps when we visit.

how does filmon or similar work?do you have to pay a subscription?for things such as filmon what other equipment do you need apart from decent broadband?

apologies for my ignorance but I'm afraid I'm a sad old technophobe.

5. Re: tv signal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 19:05
Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tv signal

You need a device that connect to the internet and is able to stream video. e.g. A laptop or tablet. I'm nt up to speed with modern gadgets so I'm not able to advise anything more but I'm sure there must be others that work.

Filmon is free for SD, but a subscirption is needed for HD. You can register for free but it's not necessary.

Just go to Filmon.com

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
447 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tv signal

You need an internet connection. This will cost you, maybe rental of a landline + ADSL for internet. We use telefonica simply because if we have a problem we know there is only one port of call. We are currently getting about 2.5 MB/sec in Nerja. Then you need a VPN so the BBC thinks you're in the UK. Ours costs about $9 / month although it would be half that if we signed up for a year. We find that using the VPN doesn't slow the internet significantly. You will need to research the various offerings in terms of user satisfaction, speed, price.

Then you need to connect a computer to the television to show the programmes. Any laptop or desktop will do the job. If you haven't got a spare one then look at the second hand market. You might think about a wireless keyboard to use while watching TV, or you can get a mobile phone app which will do the job.

norfolk
Level Contributor
438 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tv signal

Thanks for everyone's help/advice but it's all too complicated for an old technophobe like myself.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tv signal

Sky+ the soaps in the UK and watch them when you get back!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: tv signal

Get a new wife ?