We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Nerja

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Nerja

Hi, I'm going to Nerja at the start of August for 2 week with my girlfriend. We are both in our early 20's. Where not going there to spend every night in the club's until the early hours we just want something nice where we can relax with the option of having a place with music. Has anyone got any recommendations of places to go or places to see while where there? Any advice would be useful as I have no idea what is there. Thank you.

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Nerja

Hi Joel

Most of the clubs and music bars are located in and around Plaza Tutti fruiti and Calle Antonio Millon these are busy into the early hours. There are a few places around town which have music such as . Papagyo on calahonda beach which is popular with young spanish people when local young spanish bands are playing ( keep and eye on the notice board) A bar on El Barrio called Vagos is also another popular place for music and cocktails( not a club just a chill out bar) Depends what you are looking for> There isnt the wall to wall clubs and bar scene that other parts have to offer. Much is low key (except for Tutti fruitt which has the usual clubs scene) Still a vast number of restaurants and bars and in August many do have entertainment

Edited: 05 May 2014, 19:04
Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Nerja

Thank you for the information, it sounds perfect for us! Do you recommend any places to see while where there or things to do? Thank you.

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Nerja

Malaga city is easy by bus and a lovely place to shop and soak up some culture. The caves are worth a trip to see and are quite amazing. Almunecar has a water park and is a pleasant town to visit>There is another waterpark near Torrox called Aqua Velis and a shopping centre opposite called El Ingenio. There are a few local markets, one in Nerja on a Tuesday. Frigliana is a beautiful white washed village ( 1 euro by bus) The Donkey Sanctuary to feed the animals. Tapas trails are a fun way to spend time. There are organised day trips which can be booked in town and I think there was a place where you could book Adventure type activities ( jeep safari) have never tried this so dont really know much about it. Where are you staying?

Edited: 05 May 2014, 20:37
Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
227 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Nerja

Hello Joel,

Boatyard Bar on Playazzo" – The Boatyard Bar, do have som fans, me one of them.

For relax, music and some food.

... bar is behind the working boatyard on Playazo Beach.

Sunday is one of the days we use to drop in.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Nerja

I've seen about the caves on the internet, they look really interesting, we will definitely be making a visit there. Where stopping in the Riu Monica hotel, it doesn't really say if there is much around it just a 5 minute walk into the centre. Thank you for all your information so far, it's really helpful.

Edited: 05 May 2014, 22:15
Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Nerja

Outside Monica are a few quiet but pleasant bars and restaurants right on the doorstep and its a 10 min dander to the Balcon de Europa and old town area>The town bus stops outside Monica which is very handy for tues market> There is a square next to Monica which in August normally has free entertainment such as Flamenco, music or cinema> Also a few nice restaurants at the edge of this square which is called Plaza fabrica de los congrejos. There are horse drawn carriages here if you fancy a trip around town. Torrecilla beach is on your doorstep but in august is very crowded. Monica has lovely pool and garden area and i have seen pool aerobic lessons when we stayed in apartments next door..lol If you visit the Burriana beach area you can watch the famous Ayo cooking paella outdoors on giant pans and this is very popular place for many to spend lunchtime..

Edited: 05 May 2014, 22:33
Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Nerja

Sounds a good area, thank you. Where is the actually centre then because I can't seem to find what is classed as the centre. Are we close to the tutti frutti square? Sorry about all the questions haha, your been extremely helpful.

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Nerja

Hi Joel

I consider the area around Balcon de Europa to be central as many of the streets lead of it. Nerja doesnt really have a town centre so to speak .tGoogle streetview is good to do the walk.. You will be staying on Ave Mediterreano Rui Monica is on any map of Nerja. There is a map at the very back of the soltalk magazine www.soltalk.com ( online version) Streets such as Plaza Cavana ;Calle Pintada, Calle cristo are where most people would feel they are right in Nerja! Tutti fruiti is about 5 mins from Monica. There is a nice Italian place at the edge of it call Don Chisotte, worth a visit. Just to note that the Monica tends to attract the older visitor but in August I'd expect more of a mix of guests.

Have a look on the top right section of the forum. There is a reference to a virtual tour of nerja which has some nice pictures of the Balcon and Torrecilla Beach etc.

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Nerja

hi there

the centre as such would i think be classed as the balcon de europa some pictures here

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=map+picture+of+balcon+de+europa+nerja&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=mYpoU-iHOoOkPeXtgCg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1024&bih=653

use soltalk map for reference

www.soltalk.com/Elements/NerjaMap/Map.htm

you are in square g2 balcon is h 4/5 burriana beach is g9 you are handy there for the main areas calle pintada calle almirante ferrandiz (post office street)

here is google maps link http://goo.gl/maps/6h90g if you head further over past balcon you will head into old town some lovely tapas bars

this is an excellent site for info on bars etc

http://www.nerjatoday.com/barsandrestaurants/

http://www.nerjanow.com/

here is link from monica to plaza tutti fruitti

http://goo.gl/maps/BKos3

not a place i go over priced poor quality but i am an old fart

enjoy your trip

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply