We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have a problem regarding Tapas

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
I have a problem regarding Tapas

Sorry for what sounds like a strange question but basically my problem is that ive always avoided Tapas for the simple reason that im not really sure how it works in terms of seating, ordering, courses and such like. I would guess its perfectly simple as everyone else seems to manage it easily enough but its something in the back of my mind that has stopped me ever visiting a Tapas restaurant. I think it would be a great shame to visit Nerja and not be able to enjoy Tapas so any advice/help would be greately appreciated.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have a problem regarding Tapas

Gary, you are really missing out on a great treat! Tapas are very small portions of the food you see at the counter. Most bar owners are used to people asking what the dishes are and especially in Nerja they are used to english holidaymakers, so will describe dishes in english. Just go in and ask for a drink, maybe a small beer - cana) and point to a couple of dishes you like the look of and ask for a tapas. You will find a lot of tapas are easily recognisable eg meatballs, russian salad, beef or pork stew, potatas bravas etc. If you just try a couple of tapas for each person, it won't break the bank and you can always have more if youlike certain things.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 16:06
Belfast
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have a problem regarding Tapas

thats great thanks

so rather than actually going out for a tapas meal/dinner you have a drink and eat a bit of something then another drink eat something else then maybe move on somewhere else and do the same?

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I have a problem regarding Tapas

Yes you can do that, but you don't have to have a drink for each tapas ordered. You can either treat it as snacks (like you described), which could be good fun, or you can order 1/2 rations or rations which are larger portions if there is something you like. Normally the 1/2 rations and rations would be for something you see on the menu rather than on the bar.

Oh, and you could just have one drink and keep going up to the bar to point to more tapas LOL!

Edited: 09 May 2014, 16:15
Belfast
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have a problem regarding Tapas

sounds great, looking forward to it already :)

so there actually are menu's in most places or is the food on display?

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have a problem regarding Tapas

The tapas is on display. Most bars have a menu as well so you could choose other food, but don't expect gourmet dining in a tapas bar ;-)

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I have a problem regarding Tapas

hi gary have alook here

nerjatoday.com/barsandrestaurants/…

one of the best in town tapas are in the cooler cabinet just point to what you want.

likes of biznaga at the balcon will have amenu.

http://www.nerjatoday.com/barsandrestaurants/

here is a list

usually you have to sit at the bar to get it free. my wife prefers to sit at a table if bars do charge it is very little

try some of the not so tourist ones they are well used to people that are a little strange to tapas.

my fav.

pugillia

puntilla

chispas

marina

try los bilbainos when you get a bit braver can be quite daunting but you will get a great welcome and he has a great range of sherry from barrels

enjoy

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I have a problem regarding Tapas

Gary we felt the same before taking the plunge and i was so glad we did!! I think we tried El Puguilla as our tester run. We went in around 2pm when it was busy but not mad. We ordered two small beers and the menu was on the wall in spanish and english. The staff are very good and will point you in the right direction. Many of the tapas places close for a few hours in the afternoon (around 4ish) But really do give it a go. You will be amazed. We spend many lazy afternoons or early evenings doing this. Wouldnt be our holiday now without tapas. We have our few favourites but cant wait to try more this year as we are really much braver now. LOL

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: I have a problem regarding Tapas

There's a really good tapas list on this forum somewhere. Maybe someone could point you in the right direction.

I really enjoy tapas. A nice cold glass of San Miguel, a little bread, olives and a few tapas is all I need for a perfect evening in the sun. I find it less of a meal and more of something to eat whilst having a drink. A tip from me is just order a few things at a time and for the cost of most tapas if you don't like it it's only a couple of euros.

Try it I'm sure you'll love it.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I have a problem regarding Tapas

thanks very much folks for all your help, i will certainly give it a go and i am looking forward to it very much.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I have a problem regarding Tapas

Hi Gary

The trick is not to let it stress you out lol - Tapas have been around for years and years, some resorts have only really just got in on the act though so it's seen as a new thing :)

Interesting thread here: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g315917-i5571-k7…

Here is the list of Tapas and their translations:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187440-i353-k33…

Have fun, and do report back when it's all over and let us know how you got on :)

Finally, don't be worried if you have to pay for Tapas, I would rather pay and know that the local economy is being helped that way rather than spend my time seeking out the freebies and thereby not contributing anything....

Off to grab some Fish and Chips now, ha!

Get answers to your questions about Nerja
Recent Conversations