We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Step Forward.... Two Steps Back!

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
One Step Forward.... Two Steps Back!

It seems that there are troubling times ahead just when one major issue was being sorted, albeit slowly.

As we know the work on the Sewage Plant has started - as yet no completion date but still a long way off sadly, but a welcome investment for the area that badly needs it.

Now I have read that there are soon to be issues on two fronts:

1) The strict control of TV's playing in outside areas which I understand is aimed primarily at Football matches etc. This would be highly damaging to many establishments as we know not only the Spanish are very passionate about the sport but tourist that visit are keen to watch the matches also.

Establishments I am presuming will have to invest heavily in bigger and more powerful Air Conditioning units should this come into place.

2) The strict control of live entertainment. This has been a long time coming to be honest and will affect both artists and venues alike.

The squeeze has already been felt across the region with the spend per head per evening has reduced dramatically in the face of the recent downturn and as a consequence the fee per artist/act has been reduced accordingly. Now with these laws being enforced it will mean more expense on behalf of the artist/act that "may" be absorbed by the venue, but no doubt will be born by the artist/act on an ad hoc basis.

The other option of course is to go Autonomo which is popular for established performers as they often have contracted gigs / venues etc, but for those that don't then it's a big outlay when you're not guaranteed to get it back, and then some!!

So, sadly tough times ahead in all directions - it does make you wonder if the Ayuntamiento's actually want tourism to flourish or just get bored and wake up and think of yet another way to make life difficult for hard working people....

Let's see how it develops, and if anyone experiences any of these changes, feel free to post so that others are aware of what's happening.

Brighton
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Step Forward.... Two Steps Back!

Watching footy outside on a warm evening is the beez kneez, and something I look forward to when in Spain, especially as it's a rarity in the UK. If it wasn't popular, proprietors wouldn't do it.

I'm presuming this is to curb any late-night disturbances during the world cup, with some of the games kicking off at midnight Spanish time.

Is this written in stone, or is there a possibility sanity will put an appearance in?

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,851 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Step Forward.... Two Steps Back!

Its sad that the authorities are clamping down on the entertainment which attracts people to the bars and restaurants. I do believe that its right that the acts and the venues should be paying any tax and insurance that is legally payable, and that in residential areas the volume should be toned down just a little but at the end of the day, this is people's livelihoods and as you say MKB, unless the acts have contracts with venues, then they cannot be guaranteed work. Even some of the best established acts sometimes have problems getting gigs!

Let's hope that the regulations are too rigidly enforced and people will still be able to work in the clubs etc and for the holidaymakers to get the great range of entertainment that they do at the moment,,

3. Re: One Step Forward.... Two Steps Back!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Nerja