We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nerja Donkey Sanctuary - is closing :(

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,450 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Nerja Donkey Sanctuary - is closing :(

After 10 years I've just heard that the Donkey Sanctuary at Nerja will be closing by the end of July and the animals sent to other animal sanctuaries or homes. Its such a shame but they just couldn't afford to pay to move to bigger and better premises. Here's a link to their website with all the details, I would ask that anyone who was thinking of going in the next few weeks still goes and supports them by taking food for the animals and hopefully donating to the fund before it is wound up so that they can pay their bills.

It is one of the places that people like to visit when in Nerja and they will be missed.

nerjadonkeysanctuary.com/2014/…

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nerja Donkey Sanctuary - is closing :(

Awww, that's such a shame CJ, it was one of the good places to go whilst over in Nerja :( Must be awful for the workers too who have put so much into it !!

Thanks for sharing the news, and a heads up for anyone who was thinking of including it as part of their trip... what a shame :(

Antrim, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nerja Donkey Sanctuary - is closing :(

That is a real shame.= they have certainly put such a lot of effort into the place over the last 10 years. I wonder is there any way funds can be raised to help them move to the new premises. One of the fun places to take the kids.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,647 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nerja Donkey Sanctuary - is closing :(

Anyone who currently supports the Nerja Sanctuary financially can divert their contributions to http://www.elrefugiodelburrito.com/en/about so they can carry on the good work.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,450 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nerja Donkey Sanctuary - is closing :(

I know they have tried in the past to raise funds for a move but its well beyond what they an afford. I think that they only just manage to scrape by on the donations they've been getting. They still want more donations to help pay their final bills so if anyone is in the area and can get along there to help out it would be great. I just feel so sorry for the poor animals having to be moved. One of them, Conan, was supposed to have been moved a few weeks ago but his back is so bad that the vet said he would be best to stay where he is.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nerja Donkey Sanctuary - is closing :(

I hear to that vet maybe not diagnose well and donkeys die. Also the Ayuntamiento do not help ever with the work to try and help the animals.

The workers are very sad.

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nerja Donkey Sanctuary - is closing :(

Will they be open with all the animals for the next few weeks? My daughter adores it, and I'd like to take herfor the weekend to say goodbye to the animals, but not is it's half empty as it would be so sad.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,450 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nerja Donkey Sanctuary - is closing :(

Think they will all be finished by the end of July, check on their website or Facebook page for up to date information of times and days etc.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nerja Donkey Sanctuary - is closing :(

Such sad news. I will miss visiting the 2 donkeys we sponsor.

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
978 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nerja Donkey Sanctuary - is closing :(

Awful news, we have just come over and intended to go there tomorrow. We were wondering when they were planning to move. Not good for the people there, the visitors but particularly the animals - Its their home. Think we'll make a few visits this time.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nerja Donkey Sanctuary - is closing :(

How sad. They have worked tirelessly for the past 10 years. What a shame the Ayuntiamento couldn't give them some kind of grant to keep it going :(

Get answers to your questions about Nerja