We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooking fuel

uk
Level Contributor
422 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Cooking fuel

While in Los Barriles in the past we have tried the chorizo al inferno and enjoyed it. My question is what is the type of liquid he uses for cooking it. When I asked him he said it was Alcohol but I can't find anything similar in the UK. Anyone got any ideas?

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,207 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cooking fuel

I think it is methylated spirit.

Langholm, United...
Destination Expert
for Nerja, Frigiliana
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cooking fuel

I think Pavo is right it looks like it is the stuff you buy to light a barbacue last time I saw it it was in a squeegee bottle like washing up liquid used to come in

uk
Level Contributor
422 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cooking fuel

Would methylated spirit not make the food taste bad?

UK
Level Contributor
796 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cooking fuel

It would smell awful surely?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cooking fuel

Alcohol de quemar, which is meths - but not with the additions there are to it in the UK. I'm pretty sure the sale of pure meths is illegal in the UK.

Camping stove fuel is your best bet, although this is denatured it doesn't have the appalling smell that standard UK meths has.

Obviously be VERY careful, there are dangers here!

Edited: 15 June 2014, 22:33
nerjaval
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cooking fuel

I've bought it from Mercadona in a small plastic bottle. It is pure alcohol, to be found in the toiletries section....

uk
Level Contributor
422 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cooking fuel

Nosoyguiri, what do you mean by camping stove fuel? Is it a gel that you use for BBQ' s . As for the safety, I have read somewhere about an accident possibly in Nerja, I can't remember, where a customer was badly burned cooking chorizo so I am aware of the dangers. Best to cook before drink is taken, that's if I can find some fuel.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cooking fuel

No, not a gel Jerry, you can get some fuel that is for small burners for portable camping stoves (same as for fondues) which doesn't have the smell.

To be honest I'd just bung the chorizo on the barbie, saves a lot of time and hassle.

That accident was in a restaurant in Nerja, a Dutch lady was badly burnt - as you say, always ensure there is one Designated Chef who isn't on the pop.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 10:38
uk
Level Contributor
422 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cooking fuel

I agree it's easier on the BBQ but the cooking on the skewer thing is a bit of a novelty for your guests.

10. Re: Cooking fuel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:16