We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Issues II - Additional Insurance Warning.

Nerja
Level Contributor
847 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire Issues II - Additional Insurance Warning.

Please be aware that cheaper additional insurance cover taken out through an independent party might not be accepted by the car hire company, as the experience below reveals.

A Record rental car was arranged for a 22 day hire period, picking up at Malaga airport recently. The hire was arranged through the broker DoYouSpain.

Record offered an extra insurance (Comfort Plus) for damages to wheels, glass etc for a pretty stiff premium of €106.99.

DoYouSpain offered their allegedly corresponding Gold Insurance for € 65.78 which the hirer accepted and paid for. Upon arriving at the Record office in Malaga airport the hirer was told that it was compulsory to still buy the Record Comfort Plus Coverage insurance at € 106.99.

as they refused to accept the alternative cover. Under the onerous threat of not being hired the car the Record insurance cover was very unwillingly purchased .

The hirer contacted DoYouSpain and explained the situation, but they refused to cancel their policy.

A case of Caveat Emptor if there ever was one.

Mentioned in this post
Malaga Airport
Malaga Airport
Malaga, Spain
Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire Issues II - Additional Insurance Warning.

Ouch..... !! I think I'd stick to public transport and shanks's pony ....

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire Issues II - Additional Insurance Warning.

I had the same thing happen to me in Beauvais airport (France). I had bought the extra cover but when I went to pick up my car from Alamo I was told they did not accept it and I either bought their insurance (a lot more than you paid, for just one week) or left a damage deposit of €800. I paid.

Insurance has now become a swindle for car hire companies.

Edited: 20 June 2014, 11:14
Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire Issues II - Additional Insurance Warning.

Taken from the Record site ...........

" As an alternative, customers who do not purchase Comfort Plus Cover will be required to leave a deposit of 600 Euros for vehicles B, B1, B2, C, C1, 700 Euros for vehicle D, E and L, 800 Euros for vehicles D1, D2, D5, E1, E2, E9, K1, K2, K3, Q and Q1. This amount will be retained from the customer's credit card and only deducted if damage occurs. The Comfort Plus Cover will not cover for any other type of negligence. "

...... which proves the sales team are lying to their customers :(

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire Issues II - Additional Insurance Warning.

Kaneda, you'll find all companies want a damage deposit left if you don't take their insurance, that's not a scam. The scam is when they refuse to take the deposit.

Nerja
Level Contributor
847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire Issues II - Additional Insurance Warning.

I am afraid you are absolutely right about staff being less than honest with their customers Alinbenalmadena.

It is in no way an excuse for such appalling behaviour, but this sort of practice is often brought about by the incredible sales pressure that companies such as Record place on their staff these days - Basically it is a case of sell, sell, sell - or be sacked.

I have asked Record and DoYouSpain for their comments on the matter, but needless to say I am not holding my breath!

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire Issues II - Additional Insurance Warning.

I hire cars in UK with Enterprise, I take out private extra insurance and Enterprise always take a holding deposit of £200. The deposit is only held against my credit card and is cancelled after the hire period if no claim is required.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire Issues II - Additional Insurance Warning.

this is totally normal if you have excess insurance from a third party of course the car hire company do not accept it and want you to purchase their own. Dont bother though, you will be charged for any damage to the hire car but you just claim it back from your own excess insurance policy.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,733 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire Issues II - Additional Insurance Warning.

One reason I use DoYouSpain is you dont have to pay until you pick the car up. As I have an annual u.k. excess insurance policy I am subject to a hard sell and told not acceptable, you must have our insurance. A few no.no.no and even more no, gets the staff to understand you not going to buy.

I just say am I going to get my car or not, all times an impress of my credit card done, but not always an actual deposit. If they take the deposit I refuse to hand the keys back until, they have refunded my deposit and usually the fuel charged.

Were paying pea nuts for car hire today so the add ons the way companies make money. I paid 8 euros a day last month for car hire, I am quite prepared to endure a hard sell and time inspecting and taking photo's, if it keeps the cost down.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire Issues II - Additional Insurance Warning.

I agree with you Ian, but we are regulars when it comes to car hire and can hold our own. Many people don't read Trip Advisor, don't know how the car hire companies work, get to the airport and after queueing for an hour or two, just want to get their car and go :(

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire Issues II - Additional Insurance Warning.

Like you say Al, easy enough for us regulars but then you only become a regular with a bit of experience. And there is nothing like experience to learn a lesson. Sorted up my annual car hire insurance yesterday through www.travelsupermarket.com at the usual cost of 39.99 GBP. All that's left to do is pack the suitcases and do the online check-in. Nine sleeps to go.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 20 June 2014, 16:56
Get answers to your questions about Nerja
Recent Conversations