We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breastfeeding Etiquette in Nerja

Berkshire
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Breastfeeding Etiquette in Nerja

Hi, I will be travelling to Nerja for a 2 week holiday with my baby who I am still breastfeeding and I wondered if breastfeeding in public (discretely with a bf apron) was accepted? I dont intend to do it in public cafes etc but I may get caught out from time to time as I do need to feed her mid morning and mid afternoon and we will likely be out as I have a 5 year old son too (I will try and do it in the car but Im sure I wont be able to all the time) the last thing I would want is to be told to leave an establishment, there are plenty of opinionated English people about bf in public :-) and I wondered if it was recognised as a natural thing to do in Spain?

Thanks!

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breastfeeding Etiquette in Nerja

To be honest I've never seen it in many years, but it's a very liberal country so I'd be surprised if there would be a problem, when they gotta eat they gotta eat :)

Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breastfeeding Etiquette in Nerja

I don't think you will have any problem. I often see mums in cafes etc. with a wrap draped over her shoulder and a baby tucked underneath it feeding.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breastfeeding Etiquette in Nerja

You sound quite sensible, so I can't see a problem. I'm often out with my daughter and granddaughter and we just find a quiet corner and she tends to sit with her back to the public. I think it's become an issue in the UK because some mothers decide to make it into an exhibition.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breastfeeding Etiquette in Nerja

I remember feeding my youngest in Spain in the 80s,we went every year from her being born. I don't remember any problems. A light scarf placed strategically is useful !! I used the car too and also fed her on the beach under sun umbrellas and windbreaks (you see much worse on beaches????) I remember the Spaniards made a tremendous fuss of her and loved her big blue eyes.

Just go for it!!

The clinic nurse did give me some sample milks to take with me and also advised lots of boiled pure mineral water. Its essential that they keep hydrated. I have also bought the little jars of Spanish baby food during holiday times and was amused when I saw garlic as one of the ingredients,she loved it!! :-)

Berkshire
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breastfeeding Etiquette in Nerja

Thanks ladies, I feel more comfortable about it now, I am very discreet and do sit with my back to the public where possible. I shall relax and enjoy my holiday now!! :-)

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
445 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breastfeeding Etiquette in Nerja

Both my daughters discretely breastfed in Nerja with no problem at all. Not surprising really when you think what you can see openly displayed on the beach!

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breastfeeding Etiquette in Nerja

We sat at an outside table at La Fragata, in the lunchtime hustle and bustle of Plaza Cavana.

On the next table, was a lady breast feeding (with one of those aprons you mentioned).

She wasn't bothered, the baby certainly wasn't bothered, we weren't bothered. Neither were the folk at the other tables, the staff/management of the bar, nor the hundreds of passers by.

My guess is, it'll be no bother! :-)

(Great place for lunch/chilling/people watching too, of course!)

london
Level Contributor
409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breastfeeding Etiquette in Nerja

Hi, I really don't think you will have any problems. Have a lovely time in Nerja, hope you manage to keep cool.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Breastfeeding Etiquette in Nerja

Thanks so much everyone :-)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,621 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breastfeeding Etiquette in Nerja

Trinity:

They love babies in Spain. No one will hold it against you for doing something natural like breastfeeding your baby discreetly.