We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Nerja (forum)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,437 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New to Nerja (forum)

I addressed these questions as part of a larger post about travel to Andalucia, but I thought it might be more helpful to come right to the Nerja forum. Thanks for your patience.

We are thinking of staying in Nerja for 5 nights early next May as part of our 5 week Spain trip. We like the hub-style way of travel, and it seems like Nerja would be a good hub for us to travel (by car) to various places of interest, from Cabo de Gata, to Granada, etc. (yes we know Cabo is 2 hours away, we enjoy the drives) We also like to be in the middle of town, or within walking distance. Plus, since we'll have a car, parking is an issue to consider. We'll be driving down from Cordoba, and continuing on to Ronda or thereabouts, after.

Nerja looks lovely but we have two reservations about it:

--I am concerned about the water quality issues and the sewer situation that I keep reading about. How serious is this? Will we be constantly smelling sewage? Does it affect the quality of beach time? I've read it's the worst at Burriana, yet that seems to be very popular. I've also seen conflicting information, so, I'm not sure what to believe at this point! I'm hoping the Nerja regulars can set me straight!

--secondly....how can i put this delicately....will we be surrounded by Northern Europeans (or even worse, Americans! lol) instead of Spanish people? Is the vibe more British, or Spanish?

Would there be a better "hub" village or town along the coast to explore Cabo, Granada, Las Alpujarras, and maybe Alhama de Granada?

Thank you for your help!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Nerja (forum)

Great numbers of people enjoy fantastic holidays in Nerja every year. You only need to read many of the posts on here of people returning again and again. I am one of those and lived there as well.I have never been aware of any smell that hasn't been extremely pleasant! The sea breezes,the fragrant"dame de la noche" and the delicious food smells coming from the restaurants!!! :-)

May is a lovely time to go. May and June are my months of choice and I am there every year.I don't have a car so not sure re this .There are car parks around the centre but some of them you have to pay for.You may be lucky enough to find street parking as may is not the height of the season.

I have seen all nationalities there but there is nothing like the British vibes that you get the other side of Malaga. Its Spanishness is what attracted me to Nerja in the first place and still does.

Burriana is very popular ,the water plant is being built at present and many people enjoy this beach every day.

If swimming is your main priority The beaches around Torrecilla would be better for that. This has been a much discussed topic on here but personally I would not let this put you off. I would say that the pros far outweigh the cons.

The choice is yours! Hope you have a great time!!

Edited: 20 July 2014, 22:00
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,437 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Nerja (forum)

Thank you so much for your quick response, Sheila! It's very helpful.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Nerja (forum)

siouxxie:

Nerja is a wonderful town to stay in. Just choose a hotel with parking.

There is a mix in the nationalities of tourists who go there. It is very cosmopolitan.

The sewage problem has been blown out of proportion and I would not worry about it.

For a day trip you may want to go to Comares.

One Sunday morning we took a drive with friends from California to the Axarquia, to the little white town of Comares. Comares is perched on one of the highest mountains, 739 meters above the sea. The road to the town passes the big town of Velez-Malaga.

The town was built in the 3rd century B.C. and later when the Moors arrived, it became one of their strongholds in the Axarquia and they built a little castle at the highest point. This town is one of the most beautiful and charming white towns in the Axarquia, which is the region east of Malaga. The road leading to the town is very winding, and with many curves. But the little town is worth seeing. Mass tourism has not discovered this place yet or altered it. There were only a handful of tourists when we went there.

The town has the most stupendous views of the countryside below. Everywhere you go in the town, there are viewpoints where you can see the valleys below and other white towns in the distance.

What is very nice about this town is that after you enter a Moorish arch at the town entrance, you will find a ceramic tile with a footprint, showing which direction you should follow, so you never get lost in the town. Every so often you will find a wall plaque made of ceramics, telling one story of the town's history.

Everything is whitewashed and most of the houses have flowers near their entrances. The villagers are friendly and offer visitors raisins and almonds for sale.

The best views are at the little castle. You can see the countryside and also get a good view of the town. Beside the castle is the town cemetery, which is simple and beautiful. The villagers put fresh flowers beside the niches where their families rest, so it is very colorful and not depressing.

The best part was having lunch at the Atalaya Restaurant, which is at the entrance to the town. This restaurant is very good and quite inexpensive. Everything we tried was tasty, especially the very fresh potato croquets, which were out of this world.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,437 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Nerja (forum)

Thanks Benny! Comares looks lovely. It seems we will be spoiled for choice of places to visit in that area!

Now to figure out where to stay in Nerja!

5. Re: New to Nerja (forum)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 12:54
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to Nerja (forum)

I agree with Benny that problems have been blown way,way out of proportion .Otherwise you would n´t get all these happy tourists ???

Spaniards are there all the year round not just the height of the season!!

Read this,a recent blog with gorgeous photos. They managed to find plenty to do for five weeks!!! I was there for three weeks May/June and am never ready to leave.

…blogspot.com.es/2014/03/nerja-first-day.html

Nerja will not suit everyone and these are usually people who are happier the other side of Malaga.

I would say,give it a try you may end up one of the addicts as I am! :-)

This is also a good page to follow,they publish reports and pictures every day. The Beaches will be a lot quieter than this ( photo published yesterday ) in May!!

https://www.facebook.com/NerjaToday?fref=nf

7. Re: New to Nerja (forum)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 12:54
Edited: 21 July 2014, 12:54
staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to Nerja (forum)

Hi siouxxie, about the water problem if swimming in the sea is for you then I would give nerja a big miss or go for a hotel with a god pool , as for the smell I can say no I never did smell it though out my 11 day holiday there in August but I did see the raw sewerage every day floating near the shore line on burriana beach which I think is the worst of all the beaches so never went in the sea it was very off putting as well as the health risks ! As for the tourists I would say it had a British feel saying that it was a nice and pleasant round the small streets , Some nice restaurants to go in with some good views but after a late night I would not like to walk home late a night on my own as I would feel a little unsafe if my hotel was a good walk away we have been many places on holidays not just Spain this is just my opinion. Karen

london
Level Contributor
410 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New to Nerja (forum)

Hi Siouxxie, I think you've made a good choice for your hub in selecting Nerja. The sewerage problem is well documented on this forum but as the population of the town is at it's highest in July and August that tends to be when you are more likely to see evidence at Burriana beach. I have visited for the town regularly for over 32 years and can say that I have never encountered the smell of it on the beach at any time of year. If you are not bothered about swimming in the sea there (must admit I don't find the sea warm enough in May) I can't see it being a problem for you.

There is a large car park near the centre of the town in c/Los Huertos (behind Princess Hotel) which may suit your needs but do check on the charges. There is also an underground car park in Plaza Espana. You may find street parking in May though.

Nerja has definitely become much more international over the last 30 odd years (where hasn't?) but still retains much of it's Spanishness (is there such a word?).

Have a wonderful trip! Am quite envious and would like to do a similar length one too but guess I will have to wait until I retire.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 11:09
Somerset,England
Level Contributor
990 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New to Nerja (forum)

We went to Nerja in June for 12 days plenty of visits to Burriana never saw or smelled any thing in that time (nor in any of the other 50 visits we've made over the years), crystal blue water every day, hundreds of people swimming particularly Spanish. Its also a great beach with super bars and restauants. There are a number of anti Burriana posters here just wanting to provide a balanced view.

Get answers to your questions about Nerja