We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nerja next week

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nerja next week

My partner and i are off to Nerja next week, have been a few times and love it. Not been at the end of September before and was wondering if the weather is still nice and hot, do the evenings get chilly this time of year, i know you can never tell with the weather but a rough idea would be a help before i pack! Have also read and heard lots about Ayos but never been determined to go this year as its my partners birthday, is it best to go daytime or evening? Also looking for a really good tapas bar? A few years ago when we stayed in Nerja we had a few good evenings out watching a singer called Sandy Lawrence, was wondering if she is still playing around the Nerja area and at what venues.

Many thanks in advance.

Caz

Nerja, Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nerja next week

Yes, the weather is still great - 25 degrees plus in daytime, but beginning to get just a little chilly in the evenings. Ayo is open during the day, but only on Wednesday evenings (and I think he stops that during winter). Sandy is still around and still sounding great! Not sure where she is singing regularly at the moment.

Tapas bars? Plenty to chose from and well documented in this forum already. My fave is still the "through bar" (because it has a door at each end) - Los Cuñaos, in c/Herrera Oria.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nerja next week

I know it is sacrilige (spelt wrong sorry!) on this site to criticise Ayos but, in our opinion, there are better Paellas to be found in Nerja.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nerja next week

Hallelujah!! At last I have an allie who thinks Ayo's paella is NOT the best thing since sliced bread.

Since Carlos closed, it's been a struggle to find the best, but (although I haven't yet tried), I have been told that Joanne's on Calle Frigiliana is pretty good. What gets my vote is the fact you have to order it 24 hours in advance, it's not a quick 20 minute cook up!!

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nerja next week

Thanks Pavo - had begun to think I must have very strange taste buds with everyone raving about Ayos except me!

Have had Paella at Joannys several times - generally pre-ordered but once with only an hours notice. Always excellent EXCEPT the short notice dish that was typical tourist fare.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nerja next week

I am among the many, many thousands of regular patrons of Ayos, eating the paella on most visits. (Can we all be wrong??)

I can honestly say that having tried other paellas throughout Spain, I have never found one as tasty as Ayos. OK the fish/meat content is less than any other paellas but nothing has come close to the flavour of Ayos.

I put taste above all....I don't want a paella packed with meat & fish, infact I would be happy to eat the rice alone as it is so very tasty.

Other paellas usually have a stewed texture to the rice, especially those in the Valencia region, awful in my humble opinion. Also I hate peas in paella, ghastly. As for snails.....please, don't even think about it!

Give me Ayos simple paella that I can watch being cooked on high flames, everything on show so I know exactly whats going in, cooked to perfection in about 40 minutes, (not 20 as mentioned on here, I know I've waited for a fresh one often). Can't be beat, the taste is everything.

Sorry Pavo & Cas you don't know what your tastebuds are missing!

Carole.

-
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nerja next week

Ayo is a recurring theme

I too rave about Ayos as a great place for lunch, the atmosphere, the setting, value for money - the paella is o.k. nothing more. I'll still go and eat it because it's the whole 'package' that make Ayos a great lunchtime venue.

I recommend it to everyone but can't agree with your tastebuds Carole - sorry. Had wonderful paella all over Spain,

Ayo is way down the list for end product.

Wouldn't bother with dinner (paella should be lunch) and the Flameco show in the evening is not great.

Tapas bars El Pulgilla for me, loads of great optioins - look back on this forum. Depends how 'posh' or 'ethnic' you want to go.

london
Level Contributor
405 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nerja next week

Great place for 'free' tapas is the relatively newly opened La Piqueta on Calle Pintada. Not much fish on offer but great meats, all homemade in a family run business. Raciones also available of course and they do have some good wine. Reasonably priced and gets a big thmbs up from my family and friends.

london
Level Contributor
405 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nerja next week

On the paella front, I too am a big fan of Ayo's. Everyone has different tastes though of course. Similarly, my friends and I have often debated who does the best pie and mash in London. We all agree to difer and it seems to be that whatever you were brought up with is your faviourite establishment and I reckon it's the same with paella!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nerja next week

Ayo's is a very good place to go, but I ate just as nice paella at the beach restaurant next door (further to the east on Burriana beach). Not sure if it will be open. There was also great paella served at a beach bar, on El Chucho beach, at the far west of Nerja, almost as far on as the Marinas de Nerja complex.

I had wonderful tapas, this summer, at Bar el Puente, which is the place on the old bridge, as you come into town, close to the Supersol. Very reasonable...and extremely tasty. I would also recommend the 'through' bar, as mentioned above !

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
967 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nerja next week

Having just returned from 12 days in Nerja during which we had two Burriana paellas at Ayos and one in Rincon De Pico ( the beach restaurant mentioned next door) it occurred to me that people go to Ayo because of the name and experience rather than the actual food. Their paella has basically just three ingredients rice chicken and prawns (two) - it never changes. You get better variations elsewhere. I agree however it does always tastes good and thats because they have such a large turnover that the food is always fresh (I'd be interested in knowing how many plates they actually serve each day especially on Sundays - the day we went there were queues waiting for tables ! ) For such a large operation the sevice is tremendous , staff friendly and good value. Just feel that the main thing people seem to go for is overrated compared with other establishments

Get answers to your questions about Nerja
Recent Conversations