We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thos Cook - dependably poor customer service

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Thos Cook - dependably poor customer service

Just come back from a wonderful week at the BPCA, and as always wonder at the efficiency of the Thos Cook team. Although the Thos Cook website said it was not possible to check in online for the homeward journey we managed to do so with no problem and printed our boarding cards. In resort we got a leaflet from the rep saying that for £15 pp we could fast track check in. I told the rep, Brendon, we had checked in online and so would that be as quick? He said this made no difference to the speed of check in as the airport did not have a bag drop lane. I expressed surprize at this but he was insistant. We got to the airport on Friday morning and it was chaotic - busier than I've ever seen it. We queued for half an hour, then I asked a Thos Cook airport rep if there was a bag drop off - yes there was. We accordingly queued again. There were over a dozen Thos Cook flights going out within about 2 hours and security was packed.

Our flight was not called, and eventually we were told it had been cancelled and we were to stay overnight in an hotel. Communication from Thos Cook was appalling during this time - no-one knew where to collect bags from, what was going to happen etc. We eventually got home 18 hours late.

I know Thos Cook are still in a precarious financial position and therefore sacrifice customer comfort for maximum profit, but an extra week learning people skills for their resort and airport reps would be a fantastic idea!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thos Cook - dependably poor customer service

i think anything over 12 hours now & your entitled to compensation !!....check out " martin lewis" website , hes the money compo expert on TV. sure i read it on there a few weeks ago ....bad service like yours will see TC go under ..it only takes word to get round & nobody will use them ...and rightly so.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,155 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thos Cook - dependably poor customer service

"bad service like yours will see TC go under ..it only takes word to get round & nobody will use them ...and rightly so."

The trouble is that if TC does go under we will only have on major tour operator in the UK and that would be seriously bad news for prices.

Cockermouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thos Cook - dependably poor customer service

I must say for the record, we have travelled with. Thomas Cook several times and always had good service

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thos Cook - dependably poor customer service

We have always used tc and up until our last trip in December we have never had a bad experience

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thos Cook - dependably poor customer service

We've been in the same situation although not at Tenerife airport. We too sat and waited for our flight to be called. Didn't have the option of a hotel but was just left at the airport with no communication. Everyone just slept on the seats and floor. Appalling. We then found out the aircraft had broken down before it even left the UK but nobody had the courtesy to tell all the passengers.

I can't recall who we flew out with but I do know that the carrier couldn't collect us and we ended up flying back to the UK with Thomas Cook, so I was pleased with them on that occasion. The staff on the flight had an easy shift because all the passengers fell asleep.

You should be able for claim on your insurance so keep all your paperwork.

Horncastle, United...
Level Contributor
791 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thos Cook - dependably poor customer service

We flew to Tenerife once with TC. The rep over there had lived on the island for two years. She didn't even know that they grow bananas under all that plastic sheeting!!

They should have just perfected the trips from Leicester to Loughborough. No bananas in Loughborough, AFAIK ;-))

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thos Cook - dependably poor customer service

in these times of reccesion they are lucky to get " any " customers , i was made redundant 5 years ago and this year will be our 1st holiday since !! so they need to " up " the service for hard saved money... on any holiday !!. they have been greedy for far to long. ( in my opinion ). is it to much to ask....for them to do there job properly. and in answer to keitht......

" The trouble is that if TC does go under we will only have on major tour operator in the UK and that would be seriously bad news for prices "

there are plenty others and cheaper !! ...ie.., jet2....easyjet...ryanair......and loads others who would gladly take there custom !!.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thos Cook - dependably poor customer service

James - sadly the hotel we prefer is only provided by Thos Cook, and costing hotel and flight separately is far more expensive. Same old story - they will continue to get away with poor service as most people, us included, will not pay more.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thos Cook - dependably poor customer service

If TC did go under I I'm sure u fav Hotel would be available with other operators i haven't used TC for many years always found a holiday cheaper DIY,

Horncastle, United...
Level Contributor
791 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thos Cook - dependably poor customer service

"sadly the hotel we prefer is only provided by Thos Cook"

Cannot believe that! What's it called and where?