We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the area - things to do

Merseyside
Level Contributor
168 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting the area - things to do

Hi I Am visiting an area just out side brough and travel through Kirkby Stephen. Can anyone give me a little more infomation regarding things to do in the area. ie Horse riding / bike hire / walks /tourist attraction ? going for the weekend of 31st July 09

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the area - things to do

Hiya Robcop...our paths cross again!

Hope you enjoyed Goa? Are you going back anytime?

And so you are venturing north into Cumbria! Well the first thing to do is to invite me for a pint or two. But I'm a little further north still in Carlisle, so I'll pass on the invite but thanks anyway...lol.

Three websites to look at, the first covers most things about Cumbria so have a good look through it.

The second is all about the exotic parrots free flying in the KS area. I kid you not! I drove through there last week and two Macaw parrots flew across the road right in front of me.

Thirdly, if you're about on July 22nd, have a walk across the nearby Ribblehead Viaduct. It only opens once a year for pedestrians.

http://www.golakes.co.uk/

naturearoundme.com/contents1a/…

visitcumbria.com/carlset/ribbleheadwalk.htm

Enjoy Cumbria whatever you do.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the area - things to do

Some thoughts on walks.

Nine Standards - hill behind Kirkby Stephen with strange scuptural cairns and fantastic view.

Tan Hill Inn - England's highest pub and a good one too.

Swaledale waterfalls - nice walk from Keld to Muker. Can be combined with a visit to Tan Hill Inn.

Teesdale waterfalls - High Force and Cauldron Snout. Both worth seeing.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
168 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the area - things to do

It’s a small world, ha ha..

Goa was amazing will be going back soon for sure, also love my amazing new teeth I got whilst in goa

But do to work commitments and holiday entitlement ill be spending weekends away in the UK instead for a while ha ha,

Been looking at Ingleton waterfall walk as I remember doing it as a child so that one thing for sure. Ill check out the web sites listed and also any other suggestions that have been listed. Really fancy gorge walks so that’s something ill look into.

Many Thanks

Robcop_8182

North Yorks, England
Level Contributor
314 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting the area - things to do

Hello Robcop, I asked a similar question recently on this forum and was directed to the following walk

kirkbystephenonline.org.uk/content/…

It was a really nice walk, not strenuous if that what you're looking for, but we all enjoyed it and the kids were able to play in the river etc, plenty of nice picnic spots too.

Hope you have a great time.

5. Re: Visiting the area - things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Kirkby Stephen
Recent Conversations
More Kirkby Stephen Topics