We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cley Beach car park

Which Blakeney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Cley Beach car park

Does anyone know if dogs are allowed on Cley Beach, and what are the current car parking charges please? If no dogs, then suggestions would be appreciated as to where three labradors could have a romp and a swim. Many thanks.

14 replies to this topic
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cley Beach car park

If you google your question, you will get the answers. I did.

uk
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cley Beach car park

Hi

I HAVE Googled, (I would hardly be asking if I had the answer now would I!) but cannot find anything definitive about car parking and/or dogs. One site says dogs allowed no problem, another in certain areas/times only. some say charges only if going to nature reserve.So, Mr Blades, with your in-depth knowledge of the area, which is it please? Your reply anticipated and appreciated.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 19:43
Norfolk
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cley Beach car park

Yes its hardly a helpful answer! And its not a straightforward position here.

As far as I can make out, you can take your dog onto the shingle beach at Cley [north side of shingle bank]

northnorfolk.org/files/TDEPDO20_Single_Sided…

But the car park and land to the south side of the shingle bank is owned by the Norfolk Wildlife Trust, which has this policy -

"Sorry, no dogs on the reserve. Visitors with dogs can walk Beach Road, along shingle bank (Northern reserve boundary) and East bank – from here you can see some areas of the reserve. "

So it looks as if you are going to be a bit limited, and maybe better to try elsewhere.

uk
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cley Beach car park

Many thanks gorby 321. I know Holkham is good, but we have one dog who recently had surgery to his leg, so the long walk would be difficult for him. Any other suggestion at all please??

Norfolk
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cley Beach car park

I lived at Sheringham for many years, and used to walk my dog between Sheringham and West Runton, although it is a bit of a trek from Cley.

If you wanted to try this I would park at W.Runton beach car park [cliff top] walk down to the beach and turn left - dogs not allowed on beach in front of you as you arrive during the season. You do need to check its not high tide if you want a lot of beach.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cley Beach car park

Not sure why you are asking about Cley beach. It's shingle and in an area where there are lots of sandy beaches it would not be my choice for exercising dogs. Where are you based and how far are you willing to travel?

uk
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cley Beach car park

Many thanks for your comments. We were looking at the possibility of staying near there, hence my query. However, given the apparent restrictions regarding dogs in place in numerous areas, we have decided to go to Suffolk. Our favourite beach there (also shingle) is Dunwich. Dogs are allowed unlimited access, and people are very responsible ie clearing up after their dogs. In fact Suffolk CC also provide poo bags to encourage them to "scoop the poop"!

uk
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cley Beach car park

Thanks gorby 321, you will see from my other message that we have decided to return to Suffolk. Its a known entity, and very dog friendly. Will however bear your suggestion in mind for the future.

Norfolk
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cley Beach car park

You are welcome - have a good time.

For future reference there is a large area of heathland just inland from Salthouse, [next to Cley] which is ideal for dog walking. Or if beaches are your thing, then further round the coast Gt Yarmouth and the villages to the north, have 15 miles of sandy beaches, which almost all allow dogs [apart from Gt. Yarmouth central beach and Gorleston]

Norwich
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cley Beach car park

Yes, you can take your dogs on Cley beach - it is stoney though, but if the tide is out it should be OK. West Runton is another beach. Norfolk is very dog friendly! Sorry to see you've decided to go back to Suffolk! Come to Norfolk another time - there are loads of lovely beaches to let your dogs run and run on!

explorenorfolkuk.co.uk/dog-friendly-beaches.… may help?

Reply to: Cley Beach car park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Blakeney
Recent Conversations