We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport to Feltwell - any bus sites?

Which Thetford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport to Feltwell - any bus sites?

Hi

I'd like to visit Feltwell using public transport. Presumably the nearest train station is Thetford, and can I get a bus service from there? Or even hire a bicycle? :-)

Where can I find bus timetables for that part of Norfolk?

11 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,925 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport to Feltwell - any bus sites?

Use the Traveline website:

http://traveline.info/

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport to Feltwell - any bus sites?

It woulld appear that Feltwell's one and only bus service has been discontinued - traveline is telling you that a taxi is needed for part of the journey

I did find a timetable for it (on Suffolk County Council's site) for last October, but Traveline has no trace of it

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport to Feltwell - any bus sites?

Hi, That area has been suffered by some cutbacks, you might be able to get near if you headed back to say Bury St Edmunds and headed out again but there does seem to be a limited bus service there all which goes from the bus station, at the back of town by the car park, and the Park areea, it's not clear and not very user friendly but there is quite a walk to the train station from the centre of town or when I did it I just got lost and ended up going the long way round.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport to Feltwell - any bus sites?

I can see no point at all in going to Bury St Edmunds. Brandon is the nearest useful rail station, although Thetford has a better service and is a much bigger town. But if you can arrange a taxi from Brandon, that would probably be the best. Bury St Edmunds seems a total red herring.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport to Feltwell - any bus sites?

Ok, my mistake. But the 301 which serves Thetford does go to Brandon direct every couple of hours according to Traveline East Anglia and that starts in Bury that's why I thought of it.

London
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport to Feltwell - any bus sites?

Thanks everyone for taking the time and trouble to answer this. You are great!

London
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport to Feltwell - any bus sites?

So just to confirm, after your recommendations, I'll now on a Saturday go to Brandon station (not Thetford) with my bike and then I'll cycle to Feltwell.

My grandfather was in the RAF, and my father (b 1954) said that he went to an infants/junior school in Feltwell in 1959-1962 so I'm going to see if I can find it. Even if I don't, I'm sure it will be a pleasant day trip. Thanks again.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport to Feltwell - any bus sites?

Hi, If you are coming from London, via Cambridge Station, what you will need to do is just head to Platform 5, which is the platform almost next to the new station lifts, and basicaly if you are coming through you are just staying on the same train but there is apparently a cycle policy on that service which is just four bikes per train, but no need to book or pay anything extra.and I do believe if you took the fast train to Norwich from liverpool strete you'd just be doing the other direction on the hourly service, so in my opinion go via Cambridge if you are doing it by train as it's nice and easy. and those trains I think are more comfortable to.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport to Feltwell - any bus sites?

Good choice Eclectic_angel. Brandon is a pleasant country town on the Suffolk/Norfolk border and you wii be able to get refreshments there if you wish before your cycle ride. The countryside isalso pleasant, no hills, and Feltwell is a charming village. Only downside is the aircraft noise from the nearby bases at Mildenhall and Lakenheath.

Just in case you are confused about the rail journey, the best trains to Cambridge leave from King's Cross. I don't think anyone would go to Brandon from London via Norwich.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport to Feltwell - any bus sites?

Good point, but fare wise Greater Anglia have been undercutting FCC in prices, and those trains are much nicer and very comfortable normally if it's a new train they also have free wifi.

Reply to: Public transport to Feltwell - any bus sites?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Thetford