We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Center Parcs Elveden

Norfolk, England
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Center Parcs Elveden

What a ghastly place! The Comfort Villa we hired for the weekend was very shabby and dirty. The approach to the villa was scruffy and all the windowsills, doors and outside patio furniture covered in inches of dust. The paving slabs on the "patio" were coming up in places and would not have passed a Health & Safety inspection.

The bathroom was reasonably clean but I was surprised that our bedsheets had to be placed straight on top of the mattress as there were no mattress covers in place. The mattress in the double bedded room had several dark stains on it; one of which looked like menstrual blood. In the end we took the duvet covers out of the unused bedroom an.d used those as undersheets. The oven and worktops had to be cleaned although there was a reasonable level of kitchen equipment. We complained to reception and the details were added to at least three pages of complaints that the staff were currently working through. Don't go there!!!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Center Parcs Elveden

Friends of mine rave about the place and won't go anywhere else. I fact it is one of the few places they have ever managed to stay for the full time they have booked.

Myself, I prefer the continental CPs.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,796 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Center Parcs Elveden

It doesn't sound like the center parcs I know, and love, but we always make a point of having the executive villas which are a bit more expensive, because they don't allow dogs in those properties and we have one person who has the dog allergy thing!

I would hate others to be put off by this experience and hope its a one off - however, it sounds as though it ruined your holiday.

What did center parcs say about your complaints?

How they deal with is is important. Did you tell them you were going to post on Tripadvisor?

I suppose of all the center parcs Elveden is my least favourite - I think because its fairly close to London its always very busy, and gets to look tired more quickly than the others.

Norfolk, England
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Center Parcs Elveden

Yes, someone else told me that the executive villas were better but at the end of the day it still feels like Butlins. Have you read the review by a journalist from The Times somewhere else on this website? Her experience was so like my own that I could have written the article myself!

I think the concrete bunker style villas are awful to look at, the whole place is terribly expensive and for what you end up paying you could go abroad to a 4 star hotel. I really wish I could see what other people rave about as I couldn't wait to leave. Perhaps the other CP's are better as I have read that there are more complaints about Elveden than any of the others and I would imagine that the continental CP's are better.

Brentwood, Essex
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Center Parcs Elveden

I too have just returned from the weekend break from hell! We have had an awful time. We regularly go to center parcs, this was our 2nd time this year! However it's the first time we have been to Elveden since they had that fire, and there is no way any of us are going back.

We never received an arrival pack before or on arrival, therefore couldn't do all the activities we had planned because they were booked up! We went straight to the booking desk on arrival too!

We had an apartment....underneath the restaurant kitchen! It was like they were building in our room between 11pm and 2 am, and again at 6am! We moved from that room which also hadn't been cleaned properly as we found an empty condom wrapper by the bed!

Our next room was a twin bedded room as this was the only room they had available, either that or we'd have to come home, because we certainly couldn't go another night without sleep! We were out all day, popped back to collect something and found two people in our room wandering about! They were given the wrong key apparently! We complained and got no apology. We didn't expect it because we had found the staff to be quite rude and unsympathetic.

So many other things ruined our weekend away. We usually love Center Parcs but will never go back to Elveden. Still not sure about the others anymore either....

Norfolk, England
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Center Parcs Elveden

Well Ayrley, I am extremely sorry that you had such a terrible time at Elveden but I am really pleased that you have taken the time to post your comments. I was beginning to think that I had over reacted as it seemed that no-one else thought the whole place was the pits. If I could bear to put myself through it again (I can't!) I would like to go to one of the others just to see if it is just Elveden that can't get its act together. You would have thought that after the fire they had an ideal opportunity to update the whole place. In fact it's a pity that everything (apart from people and wildlife) didn't disappear in the conflagration and the whole area returned to its natural state. If people want to canoe, swim and climb I am sure there are plenty of other places to do it rather than pay an outrageous amount of money to stay in what can only be described as a ghastly blot on the landscape!!

Swansea
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Center Parcs Elveden

We have been going to Center Parcs since 1999 and noticed that the level of service and cleanliness has gone down.

Have just returned from Elveden today. Yesterday I spent several hours trying to get medical help for my husband who came down with gastro-enteritis. After four hours and numerous phone calls between myself and the medical centre, finally two people turned up to help. An ambulance was called and I then spent over 5 hours in West Suffolk A & E. The NHS service was wonderful. If only I could say the same about the level of response from the staff at Elveden.

I'm extremely disappointed. I was loathe to use the swimming pool because of the number of young children I saw wandering around wearing nappies. This alone is probably the cause of many bugs, and I won't be returning to Elveden until they provide seperate areas for young children to swim in, if ever.

london
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Center Parcs Elveden

We love Center Parcs - its fantastic for the kids - we've found the villas always clean and tidy, and the staff in the restaurants really helpful.To the lady complaining about the pool being full of children with nappies on - its a water park with slides !!! its supposed to be for kids -??? at elveden they have a special time for under 3s.. which is brilliant. Modern swim nappies are now so good accidents are very uncommon. Maybe you need to go somewhere a little more adult !

Swansea
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Center Parcs Elveden

In response to the offshore lady: Maybe you need to take the blinkers off. There has been an outbreak of cryptospiridium (sewage in the water) most dangerous to young children and the elderly.

One instance that got the public attention "causing sickness, diarrhoea and vomiting" in March 2004, you will find the details of at

…thisiswiltshire.co.uk/2004/3/12/122936.html

The above is an article from the local Wiltshire newspaper entitled "Bossess didn't tell guests about bug". Swindon Advertiser.

The modern nappies that you mention, do not totally safeguard against poo getting into the water, and it only takes one small accident in a temperature of about 29 degrees centigrade for the bacteria to flourish.

It is the same problem as dog-poo in the park and people, especially kids coming into contact with it. Actually, its on similar level as smoking in public places. Just because we are talking children and dogs, doesn't make the danger less.

And of course then you should consider the amounts of chemicals that are poured into the pool to offset the possible problem of there being human waste in it. All in all not a pleasant cocktail.

Crawley
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Center Parcs Elveden

I've just gotten back from Elveden today, I had a really good time my self.

I'm a bit confused about the thing that pukkapine said, about the separate area for young kids, as there is one... Treasure trove is for 0 - 3 year olds, I don't really know if maybe that was not there when you went.

I had to go to the Medical centre at one point and was seen and helped within a few minutes.

The villa was mostly cleaned very well, beds and sheets all on right.

The one bad point was 2 Marshmallows which seemed to have been left under the sofa, I don't see how you can miss 2 big white Marshmallows my self.

The staff were all friendly and helpful, the activitys were great, and we did receive a welcome pack to book our activitys before hand (Just thought I'd mention that as someone apparently did not).

We want to go back again in a year.

london
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Center Parcs Elveden

in response to pukkapine...

Why on earth does someone like you even consider going on holiday to Center Parcs ?

I dont have blinkers on. I just dont feel the need to wrap myself or my children in cling film. Or overeact to health fears.

The article you quote is from 2004 and even states Center Parcs hasnt had a problem like this in 17 years.

Do you not think with the thousands of babies and little children swimming every day in pools all over this country if the problem was as dangerous as you say there would be an epidemic.

Yes there is a chance of getting a bug, but this is hugely outweighed by the importance of teaching children to be confident and happy in the water from a young age.

I am not addressing your bizarre comments about dog poo and smoking as they really have nothing to do with this post.

Seriously next time book yourself into a SAGA holiday and dont forget your antispectic wipes, cling film, plastic gloves and fully fitted latex body suit.

Get answers to your questions about Thetford