We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gullane golf course #1?

New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gullane golf course #1?

My husband and I are planning a golf trip to Scotland in 2010, and plan to end at North Berwick. We have one more day to play in that area, and we are stumped. A friend suggested we play Gullane #1...anyone have any opinions on that golf course, or any other suggestions for another great course in that area?

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
734 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gullane golf course #1?

Gullane Golf Club has three courses and #1 is a qualifying course when the Open comes to Muirfield. As such, it is a true test of golf. The other two courses are also excellent. North Berwick West Links is also a qualifying course. I assume you will be playing there? If not, you should. I play at North Berwick and also at Dunbar (qualifying course). Dunbar is wonderful too.

East Lothian is the home to so many solid courses, all within 20 minutes of North Berwick. I'll name some in no particular order: Kilspindie, Craigielaw, Longniddry, Renaissance, Archerfield (2 courses), Longniddry, Royal Musselburgh, Musselburgh, Castlepark, Gifford (9 holes), Haddington, Whitekirk.

East Lothian is heaven for golfers.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gullane golf course #1?

Gullane No1 is a fine golf course - maybe make that splendid - but just fails to make the "great" category in my estimation.

While I would not dissuade any golfer to these shores playing there, I would rather point them in the direction of its near neighbour, Muirfield.

Private course? Of course. But if money is no problem, getting on that famous links is just a matter of making a simple phone call. Oh, yes, and a handicap certificate helps, too.

Great advice from Crewaustin. He/she knows their stuff. And little wonder.

In recent years only I have played only two courses in Scotland I considered breathtakingly different. One was Loch Lomond, the other North Berwick!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gullane golf course #1?

Hi,

Just slightly misleading advice in the last post about Muirfield. Getting on may be as simply as picking up the phone IF there is availability on the day you want to play. However, Muirfield only accept visitors on two days a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays, and they take booking 15 months in advance of play. So the limited times do book up pretty far in advance.

Also, and fairly importantly, you need more than just a handicap certificate. Men must have a handicap of 18 or less and women a handicap of 20 or less.

You can check visitor time availability on the Muirfield website at www.muirfield.org.uk under Visitor Times.

If you do want to request a tee-time at Muirfield this can also be done online through the website, which is perhaps even easier than picking up the phone if you are based outside the UK.

I would second the recommendation that if you are in the area you should play the North Berwick West Links. And if you want a course with some great views the Glen in North Berwick is also pretty good - not championship standard but good fun.

New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gullane golf course #1?

Thanks for all your responses. I should have made myself clearer...yes, of course we are playing North Berwick West the first day we are there. It's the second day that is a ? Muirfield is out b/c we will be there on a Fri/Sat, so tee times are unavailable. Gogolfing, would you play The Glen over Gullane #1?

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
734 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gullane golf course #1?

Gullane #1 over the Glen.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gullane golf course #1?

If you are good golfers and going for the overall golfing challenge, Gullane No 1 over the Glen.

If you find Gullane No 1 does not have times then Gullane No 2 or the Glen would be the next choices I think. And just to confuse things, Dunbar is a nice course too!

New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gullane golf course #1?

Well then, I think we'll go for Gullane #1...I'm an 8 hcp and my husband is a 15, so yes, we're looking for the best golfing experience. I'll keep the alternates in mind, though. many thanks!

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
734 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gullane golf course #1?

Because of your handicaps, Dunbar would provide a more memorable experience than the Glen, although the views at the Glen are remarkable.

New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Gullane golf course #1?

ok, will keep Dunbar in mind...

On another topic...is the Scottish Seabird Centre worth visiting during our stay in North Berwick, and if so how much time should we allow? I can't tell if this is a kids oriented activity, or for adults (I happen to be an avid birdwatcher, hence the interest).

And as long as I'm switching topics...we could use some restaurant recommendations, too...Trip Advisor reviews lead me to la Pontiniere in Gullane, Bass Rock Bistro in NB and The Tail End for fish and chips in Edinburgh...any thoughts?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gullane golf course #1?

Shasdon,

It might be worth posting your new questions separately, as the title of this post would mean those not interested in golf could skip over it.