We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Seafood Restaurant - Fresh Fish?

Which Padstow hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
The Seafood Restaurant - Fresh Fish?

Can anyone in the know tell me if the fish served at Rick Stein's seafood restaurant is fresh? By fresh, I don't just mean 'not frozen', I mean the fish was swimming around a couple of hours (or less hopefully) earlier, and not a couple of days ago and has since been kept on ice.

Same goes for the shellfish - are the lobsters alive when they enter the kitchen? And the prawns and clams and so on.

Reason I ask is that here in Hong Kong I've got used to really fresh seafood and the frozen stuff (or dead two days but served as fresh) just doesn't satisfy me anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,715 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Seafood Restaurant - Fresh Fish?

The restaurant is packed every night and booked solid for about 9 months ahead. Why use old fish?

His considerable reputation would flounder!

If you want really fresh seafood, then go to Argyll in Scotland. At the Crinan Hotel, the catch is landed 10 yards from the Crinan Hotel and carried straight into the kitchen (well, the part of the catch that isnt transported to Spain).

The Loch Fyne Oyster Bar near Inverary, harvests oysters, mussels, lobster etc from the loch on its doorstep. It also exports its produce to the best restaurants, including several top places in Hong Kong. So if you want fresh, go to where it is pulled out of the sea, in front of you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Seafood Restaurant - Fresh Fish?

"swimming around a couple of hours (or less hopefully) earlier"

Unlikely unless they have tanking on the premises or adjacent.

And fishing boats are governed by weather and tide rather than restaurant opening times.

If you really want to know ask them....

http://www.rickstein.com/onlineenquiries.asp

I imagine they have good relationships with fishermen that work from the local quay and a back up maybe on the south coast if conditions mean Padstow isn't sailing.

Not sure what's best...a wild fish that was caught that day, cleaned and chilled properly and well looked after or one that's be confined to a tank in a shop window (possible farmed?). How often do they clean the tank out???

Blois, France
Destination Expert
for Blois
Level Contributor
799 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Seafood Restaurant - Fresh Fish?

Yes and yes; all the fish is delivered fresh daily and the lobsters and other shellfish are still alive when they enter the kitchen.

:-)

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Seafood Restaurant - Fresh Fish?

Thank you all

5. Re: The Seafood Restaurant - Fresh Fish?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Padstow
Recent Conversations