We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in the porthcothan/padstow area?

London
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Things to do in the porthcothan/padstow area?

Hi there,

Me and my family are taking a trip to the porthcothan/padstow area next week and are struggling to think of things to do. We've been to the area before and have done the usual trip arouns padstow harbour and walk along the costal path etc, so we're looking for something else to do this time...maybe national trust houses etc (that's the only thing that i can think of off hand...).

There will be 5 of us, 2 adults aged around 55 and 3 'kids' aged 23 - 25 (I'm one of the kids :)).

There's an extra problem though - 2 dogs. One's a good little thing, but the other's a 1 year old choc labrador and as such is very enegergetic...this obviously limits our options.

We wouldn't be opposed to travelling a little way to get to attractions.

northampton...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in the porthcothan/padstow area?

Hi Vicki

My chilcren are a bit younger than you so can't help with what to do other than have fish at chips from Rick Steins takeaway - the dogs can have a chip too.

You can cycle along the Camel Trail if you are feeling energetic by hiring bikes at many of the bike hire place, I know they have them in Padstow (Trail bike hire being cheaper than Padstow bike hire) and Wadebridge, they even have trailers you can put your dog in, a bit like the trailers for children.

If you go to Daymer Bay (not a lot there only a beach and a beach shop) when the tide is out you can walk along the beach to Rock for a drink or lunch which is a nice walk rather than use the coastal path.

I don't know if you're aware but some beaches have dog bans in September, there's a website called the cornish coast and that gives details of the beaches you can and can't take dogs on, we found it really useful last week. The tourist information centre in Padstow also has a leaflet on beaches where dogs are allowed and where they are banned.

Have a great time

Hearty

London
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in the porthcothan/padstow area?

Hi there,

thanks for the suggestions...the bike trail sounds like a good idea!

yeah, we came accross the ban when we were trying to book a cottage - made finding somewhere close to a suitable walking area for the dogs quite tricky.

thanks again for the suggestions!

hope the weather perks up :(

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in the porthcothan/padstow area?

Hello,

There are several National Trust properties in Cornwall - Llanhydrock is probably one of the closest to you (40-45 minutes away?)and quite interesting being one of the smaller and relatively newer houses. The kitchens are especially worth a look. Pencarrow is another possibility - not NT but still privately owned and midway between Wadebridge and Bodmin. You might think about combining Pencarrow with a visit to the Camel Valley award winning vineyard which is very close by. I think you can visit any day but their guided tours are on Wednesday (but please check their website). By the way the vineyard is accessible from the Camel Trail - Wadebridge to Bodmin stretch.

There are plenty of lovely gardens in Cornwall eg., Heligan, Trebah, Glendurgan and Trelissick to name but a few.

Enterprise Boats do trips from Truro to Falmouth or St Mawes and you have an option of stopping off at Trelissick on the way. I'm not sure about the dog situation though.

Daymer Bay has already been mentioned but dogs are welcome all year and we normally take the cliff path from Daymer to Polzeath and have lunch on the terrace of the Atlantic Hotel (weather permitting) which is one of the very few places in the area where you can sit outside a pub/bar and enjoy marvellous sea views.

I could go on .................

Have a great time,

Sue

London
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in the porthcothan/padstow area?

Those suggestions sound great, thanks.

All this talk is getting me excited :)

5. Re: Things to do in the porthcothan/padstow area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Padstow