We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lyme regis not what I thought

Which Lyme Regis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
lyme regis not what I thought

Just come back from Lyme after week hol. Cannot say I am impressed by the place. HILLS HILLS AND MORE HILLS. Not much to do in this town unless you eat.. SO EXPENSIVE.. and drink all day, Thankfully the weather was great, but very little sandy beach, mostly pebbles YUK. We normally go to cornwall thought we would come to dorset my husband watches the Chef Programme on TV, will not be coming again, certainly not worth it. Lots and lots of pensioners, no good shops, nothing great to take back home, charity shops all in all a rather boring and sad place. Sorry cornwall we missed you, and have decided to make it up to ourselves have booked a holiday for October in cornwall. Dorset, your countryside is loveley but Lyme lets you down 100%.....

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: lyme regis not what I thought

Amazing! If Lyme Regis disappoints so much then you are going to be underwhelmed by at least 95% of English coastal towns. Perhaps you were short changed at one of the charity shops?

UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: lyme regis not what I thought

Goodness me! Poor old Lyme getting all this agro!

Fab place that has come on leaps and bounds in recent years. Stuffed full of little local industries (mmmm at thoughts of beer, cheese and cupcakes). Fab sandy beach and fab pebbly one too. Love the Cobb. Love the people. Love the area.

Can't wait to go back. Beyond me how anyone could have such an adverse reaction but hey ho!

UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: lyme regis not what I thought

Goodness me! Poor old Lyme getting all this agro!

Fab place that has come on leaps and bounds in recent years. Stuffed full of little local industries (mmmm at thoughts of beer, cheese and cupcakes). Fab sandy beach and fab pebbly one too. Love the Cobb. Love the people. Love the area.

Can't wait to go back. Beyond me how anyone could have such an adverse reaction but hey ho!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: lyme regis not what I thought

Lyme Regis is a unique little seaside town - plenty to do and see, variety of eating places, lots of nice ice creams, cream teas, beautiful views - all you could want on holiday!

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: lyme regis not what I thought

Don't feed the troll!!!!

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: lyme regis not what I thought

I probably shouldn't prolong this post but as someone who has visited Lyme regularly over the past ten years and watched it change I think a sense of perspective is needed! Since the coastal protection scheme was started, covering the main area from the Cobb to the clocktower, the seafront has been transformed; bigger expanse of sandy beach; much better pebble beach (no four foot drop from the Cart Road) and lovely municipal gardens,

Food can be variable but there's plenty of choice at all price levels but I have still to find a consistently good quality, good value restaurant - I haven't yet tried the reopened Rumours which used to be very good for seafood.

For walkers and people prepared to seek out their own "thing" Lyme is a good base; my grandchildren have no complaints about the beach life and rockpooling and catching crabs from the harbour wall.

\The view from the coastal path immediately above the Harbour right along the coast to Portland Bill is the equal of anything and the town is a lively, community-minded place where it seems anything is an excuse for a festival!(Food, Lifeboat Week, Carnival Week, Jazz, Fossils!!)

But each to their own thing!

Stone, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: lyme regis not what I thought

What did OP expect! Theme parks and shopping malls etc. I think it was eleanor Roseveldt who said only boring people get bored!

Edited: 06 November 2011, 01:21
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: lyme regis not what I thought

You lot make me laugh. I've been to lyme regis a few times....I've pushed a double buggy up and down the hills and sat on the pebble beach (down the end near the harbor its lovely and sandy)...I've eaten fish and chip...which cost the same price as anywhere else. The shops are great and full of bargain. Its not no shopping center but you don't want that in this beautiful town. Full of very lovely people and makes such a lovely change then living in the city. So i guess if you want a flat shopping of young people then London it is. Give me lyme regis any day x

Kent
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: lyme regis not what I thought

I don't think the OP will be back to read your comment as they last posted nearly a year ago, I am surprised the thread is still active.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,997 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: lyme regis not what I thought

wooooooooooo, resurrection strikes again!