We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Harwich port transportation

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
London to Harwich port transportation

My husband and I will be staying in central London(haven't selected which hotel yet) and will need to get to the port in Harwich on June 23rd. What public transportation is available for this route?

Thanks so much!

The Redoubt Fort
Speciality Museums
Halfpenny Pier
Piers & Boardwalks, Architectural Buildings
Stena Line
Ferries, Taxis & Shuttles
London
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Harwich port transportation

Direct trains from London (Liverpool Street station) to Harwich, and there is a station at the port. The train operator is National Express.

http://www.nationalexpresseastanglia.com/

On long distance trains in the UK there can be major savings by booking ahead. That doesn't apply on this route - there may be a pound or two saved by booking ahead, but it won't be much difference from the "walk up" fare.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Harwich port transportation

Thank you so much for your help. I will look for a hotel in that area then.

London
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Harwich port transportation

I wouldn't restrict yourself to Liverpool Street area. It's in the heart of the City (financial centre) and that means the few hotels that there are there (such as Andaz) can be expensive, and it's not the best location for the usual tourist sights.

Liverpool St is well connected with tube lines, buses (and you can always get a taxi) so don't feel you have to try to be by the station.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,509 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Harwich port transportation

Perhaps look at staying in the Holborn or Bloomsbury areas. Short Tube ride to Liverpool Street with no changes and Holborn is a straight shot on the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow if that's where you're landing

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Harwich port transportation

Wonderful tips . . . I was finging that out about the hotels near Liverpool as I was searching. I am still looking . . .

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Harwich port transportation

I found a hotel near the Southwark station. We are landing at Heathrow. Could you advise the tube route we should take both from the airport and then to Harwich?

Thank you so much!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,509 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Harwich port transportation

I wouldn't bother staying near Liverpool, that's a city 200 miles north of London :-) It's best that you don't truncate street names as it could end up messy.

Southwark isn't particularly convenient (depending on whereabouts in Southwark the hotel is - do you have a name please?) although it's not a show-stopper. From Heathrow, take the Piccadilly Line to Green Park then Jubilee Line towards Stratford and alight at Southwark. From Southwark to Liverpool Street, it would be easier taking a traxi than going by Underground to be honest. Should be less than £10

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Essex
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Harwich port transportation

From Southwark, you can take a Jubilee Line train TO Stratford and connect with a Harwich train there.

London, UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Harwich port transportation

The suggestion of staying in the Holborn/Bloomsbury area is a good one - I do this Harwich/London thing a lot and it's usually where I stay.

It offers easy access to Liverpool Street but is also a nice, attractive area with lots of eating options (and walking distance to the West End - London's main entertainment/shopping district - if that appeals).

When checking timetables and buying tickets note that you need to go to Harwich International station, which is directly adjacent to the port building, NOT to Harwich Town.

If by mistake you miss the International station and are taken on to Town, don't panic, just sit on the train and it will head back in the other direction in a few minutes!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Harwich port transportation

Thank you all for your help. I think I have it figured out (and I see what you mean by me not mentioning street after the name . . . a bit confusing). Also, thanks for the tip about Harwich International Station as I would have headed for the town.

Blessings to you all!