We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

london to Harwich port

ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
london to Harwich port

I will be taking a cruise from Harwich in late May. I will be flying into London, help !

how do I get to Harwich from either Heathrow or Gatwick.

I have booked The Tower hotel in Harwich for the night prior to the cruise and 2 nights in London post cruise.

There will be two of us travelling.

should we use the Heathrow Express and then taxi to Liverpool station and train to Harwich?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: london to Harwich port

I think you should book the cheapest flight bearing in mind that the Low Cost Carriers charge enormous amounts for luggage which I would guess you will have a fair amount of. BA to Heathrow should not be discounted.

The Heathrow Express is a treat, a very very expensive one. It would actually be cheaper with two of you to book a car and driver to take you to Liverpool Street and it might even by worth getting a couple of quotes for the whole journey to the hotel.

You would save money by taking the Piccadilly line tube to Holborn then the Central Line to Liverpool Street. There are some stairs connecting the two lines at Holborn so you will need to factor that in.

Coming from Gatwick will take a little longer. Southern train service to Victoria then Circle line to Liverpool Street is arguably the best way but again a car service would be a lot easier.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,139 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: london to Harwich port

Couple of points - why have you dismissed Stansted which is the obvious airport for Harwich

It's Liverpool Street not Liverpool - you would go very wrong if you went to the latter.

ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: london to Harwich port

thanks a lot for the response.

Stanstead is not a runner because we would have to use Ryanair, and their baggage policy is not the best!

we are now looking at hiring a car in Heathrow and driving to Harwich,

bad idea??

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,139 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: london to Harwich port

Ryanair will allow you to take 30kg without excess baggage charges - and you can put small items into your coat pockets so don't dismiss it.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: london to Harwich port

Personally and with a lot of luggage I would be prepared to pay the £180-£200 that a car service could cost but ultimately it's your call.

ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: london to Harwich port

thank you to all who responded to my request.

we have now decided to fly to Heathrow and take a car to the Port.

yes we will have a lot of luggage and the various changes needed using public transport , a bit daunting.

Thanks

my first time using this great service

London, UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: london to Harwich port

Belatedly - I live in Harwich and find Gatwick a lot easier to get to and from than Heathrow. You can take a train from Gatwick to London Bridge station and it's then a short bus or taxi ride to Liverpool Street. Total journey time airport to Harwich is around 2 1/2 hours.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,437 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: london to Harwich port

Or for 45 euros buy a Dublin to Harwich SailRail ticket, covering the Dublin-Holyhead ferry and train all the way to Harwich.

www.irishferries.com/ie/sailrail.asp

The best option would be the 08:05 ship 'Ulysses' from Dublin Ferryport, a gorgeous ship - pay 18 euros more for the Club Lounge with complimentary tea, coffee, canapees and red and white wine (though a bit early for that on the 08:05 I suppose!). You'd get to london around 17:38, and your ticket will cover you all the way to harwich.

Through tickets can also be bought starting in any irish rail station.

Then you'd sail, train and cruise with absolutely no airport or flight stress and no baggage limits or fees.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: london to Harwich port

I have managed to get a quote for a standard sedan with driver to take my husband & I from Heathrow to our accommodation in Harwich. Cost: 139 pounds. We are both seniors and do not want the hassle of having to get trains, changing trains etc, etc after flying all the way from Australia. If you are interested, I could give you the name of the company?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: london to Harwich port

How did that transfer work for you? We are four people going from Heathrow to Central London for few days and on to Harwich for the cruise and return Harwich to Heathrow.

Thank you!