We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transpportation between Heathrow and Harwich cruise port

Jerusalem...
3 posts
Save Topic
transpportation between Heathrow and Harwich cruise port

I'm flying into Heathrow , arriving 1:30 om (13;30) and taking a cruise that leaves from Harwich in the afternoon, the next day. I'm trying to decided if it's better to go to London, stay at the airport or go directly to Harwich on the day I arrive in

england. Having said that, what are the options for getting to Harwich from both London and directly from Heathrow, and of course, from Harwich back to Heathrow at the end of the trip. The more I look online, the more confused I get.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,236 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transpportation between Heathrow and Harwich cruise port

There is no direct transport link between Heathrow and Harwich. If it were me, I would look to stay in London the night before and take an early train to Harwich from Liverpool Street station. Then do the reverse when you head back to Heathrow.

Piccadilly Line Underground from Heathrow to Holborn then Central Line to Liverpool Street takes about one hour.

Train from Liverpool Street to Harwich International is about 1.5 hours

www.tfl.gov.uk

www.nationalrail.co.uk

Edited: 28 March 2012, 09:40
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transpportation between Heathrow and Harwich cruise port

Sometimes the cruise companies provide transport - have you checked?

As others say, there is no direct public transport route from Heathrow to Harwich. You could travel via London as outlined above.

Another alternative would be to stay in Ipswich overnight, as there is a direct National Express coach from Heathrow. Ipswich is an historic and much under-rated Suffolk town (IMO). The Salthouse Harbour Hotel* is right on the waterfront and gets good reviews:

http://www.salthouseharbour.co.uk/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190725-d2798…

From Ipswich to Harwich Inetrnational is a short train ride (about 30 minutes, change at Manningtree) or you could have the hotel arrange a taxi for you.

National Express Heathrow to Ipswich:

www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

* Other Ipswich hotels are of course available.

nationalexpress.com/destinations/…250.pdf

Edited: 28 March 2012, 10:19
London, UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transpportation between Heathrow and Harwich cruise port

The Ipswich option is a good one because it removes the need to go into London (which can be a stressful experience, especially if you've got lots of luggage, and by the time you get to Liverpool Street station for the leg to Harwich you'll be hitting rush hour!).

You can stay in Harwich itself overnight - Old Harwich is a pretty enough little town (village, really), with a few decent places to sleep and eat. But there's very little to do. The main advantage would be that it would mean you had no travelling the next day.

4. Re: transpportation between Heathrow and Harwich cruise port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2013, 10:25