We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

baggage

Which Harwich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
baggage

My wife and I as well as another couple are planning a transatlantic cruise vacation next May, with a stay over in Paris and London. I know that the ship will dock in Harwich and that we plan to take the train to London to catch the Eurotrain to Paris. My question is whether we can carry on all of our luggage or will we need to check it? Can we carry our baggage on the London Tube to the St. Pancras Eurotrain station?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,677 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: baggage

If you can carry it yourself then it can go on Tube and EuroSTAR but you might find it easier to take a taxi between Liverpool Street and St Pancras. How much time are you intending to leave between docking and leaving St Pancras?

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: baggage

At this point we are unsure. We see our travel agent in a week or so

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,236 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: baggage

"My question is whether we can carry on all of our luggage or will we need to check it? Can we carry our baggage on the London Tube to the St. Pancras Eurotrain station?"

How much baggage do you intend on bringing?

The train from Harwich to Liverpool Street will be a bog standard commuter train with no luggage storage space; then you will have to get from the overground station at Liverpool Street to the underground. Not sure if they have luggage trolleys available at Liverpool Street.

P.S. it's Eurostar, not Eurotrain.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,721 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: baggage

See www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times and fares.

At Harwich, Harwich International station is integrated with the ferry/cruise terminal. Just buy a ticket to London at the station, no reservation or pre-booking necessary.

Some trains from Harwich to London are direct, others involve a change at Manningtree, where the Harwich branch line meets the Norwich-London main line, but this is an easy same-platform change in this direction, no need to carry bags through the subway (Thought for the day: If 'subway' is the American English word for what we Brits call the 'Underground' or 'Metro', what word would you use for a 'real' subway, i.e. a pedestrian underpass??)

With bags, think about a taxi from Liverpool Street to St Pancras, it'll be about £20.

There is no 'checked' baggage on a UK train, you just carry all you want with you. No limits, but you have to carry it.

Leave plenty of time, as cruise ships can arrive late if they have problems, but all affordable Eurostar tickets are 'no refunds, no changes', so build allowances into the connection!

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: baggage

thanks for the advice

Level Contributor
207 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: baggage

You got a lot of misinformation. Greater Anglia rail has a special cruise train that goes non-stop from Harwich International station (right at the cruise port) to London. See www.londontoolkit.com/travel/harwich.htm.

Since this is a special cruise train, you are not likely to miss it if the ship is a bit late. It's whole purpose is to carry cruise passengers to London and it runs only on the days the transatlantic ships come in or leave.

I emailed the railroad and they said they have luggage racks as well as overhead storage.I suspect there is some sort of arrangement to get luggage quickly on that train as the railroad is likely not wanting a zoo.

As I find further information, I will post it.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: baggage

This is a very old thread and I doubt if Dave F is still following. However, here is a link to the Cruse Train to which Mish the Fish refers.

http://www.harwich.co.uk/cruise_trains.asp

Compared to the regular trains however, there are relatively few Cruise Trains and they only operate at certain times in the year, so it would still be useful to know something about the other train services too.

Level Contributor
207 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: baggage

More info on the cruise train:

From londontoolkit.com/blog/…comment-5573

mm, sounds like a positioning cruise – transatlantic to Harwich!

You are right in saying there is an hourly train from Harwich International.

There is plenty of room on the train itself – there are no reserved seats and you will get no help boarding with the luggage. Porters at the cruise terminal will normally walk with you to the platform.

The scheduled trains do not go direct, you normally have to change trains along the way as the Harwich line is in effect a branch line.

For the larger ships they put on a special cruise train that runs non-stop to Liverpool Street and is timed to coincide with disembarkation – its the same commuter style train though.

Unfortunately they don’t confirm these cruise trains and don’t publish times and dates until about January/February, they also do not appear on the National railways schedules.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 15:29
9. Re: baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 05:15