We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight in London or in Harwich ?

Which Harwich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Funchal
4 posts
Save Topic
Overnight in London or in Harwich ?

Hi. I´ll be flying into London arriving at 16h00 the day before a cruise from Harwich. Should I overnight at a London hotel and táxi through to Harwich on the day of the cruise or go straight through to Harwich the same day bearing in mind that it´ll probablt taker 60+ minute to go through customs to and pick up my luggage. Thanks

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight in London or in Harwich ?

www.cruisecritic.co.uk/ports/newport.cfm…

londonheathrowminicab.co.uk/taxi_minicab_to_…

Edited: 01 March 2013, 19:19
Essex
Level Contributor
26,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight in London or in Harwich ?

Which Airport do you fly into?

London has several.....

Funchal
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight in London or in Harwich ?

We'll be arriving at Gatwick.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight in London or in Harwich ?

Have a look at a map!

Harwich is a kloooooong way from London, a taxi there will cost quite q bit. However, it is easy to take a train there, trains go from Liverpool Street and direct into the port, the station you want, strangely, is called "Harwich International Port", you might have to change trains at Manningtree, it is not difficult.

So yes, probably best to stay in London overnight, as the journey from Gatwick to Harwich otherwise, is neither direct nor easy.

There was a very recent thread, I will see if I can find it for you. However, if you use the amazing forum search function, seen in a green bar above your header post, I reckon you could find it easily enough....

Essex
Level Contributor
26,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight in London or in Harwich ?

tripadvisor.co.uk/…46388189

OK I found it, was on the UK forum, rather than the Essex/Harwich one....

Funchal
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight in London or in Harwich ?

Thank you kindly. I will follow your advice.

Edited: 02 March 2013, 19:51
London, UK
Level Contributor
125 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight in London or in Harwich ?

Gatwick to Harwich isn't too bad, I do it often.

If you arrive at 1600 you should be out of the airport by 1800 (hopefully quite a bit sooner, depending on customs and baggage queues).

Take a train to London Bridge station, there by about 1830.

Then take a taxi to London Liverpool Street station, there by about 1845.

Then a train to Harwich - I think there's a 1900 which would get you in around 2020, changing at Manningtree. In time for dinner!

Depending on which hotel you opt for, you will probably actually be going to Dovercourt or Harwich Town station rather than Harwich International (the port station), but they're all very, very close together and the same trains stop at all of them.

Funchal
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight in London or in Harwich ?

Thank you ever so much for your help.. After having researched and read a fair amount on the topic I´ve decide to book the night at a London Hotel and travel to Harwich the next morning. Once again my thanks.

9. Re: Overnight in London or in Harwich ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 07:16