We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Heathrow to Hotel Continental in Harwich

Cottage Grove...
2 posts
Save Topic
Transportation from Heathrow to Hotel Continental in Harwich

What is the easiest and cheapest way to get from Heathrow Airport on Wednesday, October 23 at around 1:30P.M. to the Hotel Continental in Harwich? There will be 2 people, age 65 and 68, with 4 pieces of luggage.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,909 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Heathrow to Hotel Continental in Harwich

The easiest way would be to hire a car and driver. It would also very likely be the most expensive way to travel, and may be no shorter a journey than travelling by Underground and rail.

Let us know the airline with which you will fly to LHR, time of flight arrival, whether you will make a return journey from Harwich to Heathrow and when that journey will be.

There are frequent trains from London Liverpool Street to Harwich Town, but if you leave Liverpool Street after 1600 the trains will start to fill with commuters. The Underground journey from LHR to Liverpool Street will take about 75 minutes, so again flight arrival time is crucial to know.

Will you and your travelling companion be able to wrangle luggage on the Underground and Greater Anglia trains? Let us know more, please.

Cottage Grove...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Heathrow to Hotel Continental in Harwich

We will be coming into Heathrow on Delta Airlines at 12:05P.M. It will be a one way trip as we are boarding a cruise ship in Harwich. We are able to handle luggage & stairs.

UK
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Heathrow to Hotel Continental in Harwich

First step... get yourselves to Liverpool Street Station. There are essentially two ways of doing this:

- train to Paddington (Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect - the latter is slightly cheaper), then London Underground, OR

- London Underground all the way (much cheaper, but somewhat slower).

The most direct route on London Underground is Piccadilly Line to Holborn, then Central Line from Holborn to Liverpool Street, but you need to climb up a flight of stairs at Holborn. There are some alternative routes which take longer and involve more changes but don't involve any stairs..

Step 2 - take a train from Liverpool Street to Dovercourt (NOT Harwich Town). This is usually an hourly service with a change at Manningtree, but in the afternoons there are some additional trains, a couple of direct ones plus some that involve a change at Colchester - see www.nationalrail.co.uk for timetable information. If you have the choice between changing at Colchester and changing at Manningtree then for for a change at Colchester as this will be on the same platform - the change at Manningtree involves a steep flight of stairs.

According to Google maps Dovercourt Station to the hotel is an eight minute walk.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 01:12
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,909 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Heathrow to Hotel Continental in Harwich

The HEX is one of the most expensive rail journeys in the world and will take you nowhere near Liverpool Street station. Connect runs twice an hour (not from LHR T4 for your Delta flight arrival) and also goes to Paddington. The change at Holborn involves stairs up, stairs down, a long escalator ride and a walk of about 45 minutes on the flat, plus stairs up at Liverpool Street.

Take the Piccadilly line to King's Cross station. Alight there and change to an eastbound Circle, Hammersmith & CIty or Metropolitan line train (they share the same tracks and platform at KX) to Liverpool Street, where there are three small steps up to the ticket hall level and a lift (look to the far right of the ticket hall) up to the rail concourse.

Allow an hour for passport control and baggage collection at LHR and another hour and a quarter to Liverpool Street. If you want to book Advance fares I'd say look for a departure no earlier than 1500 from Liverpool Street. If you would like to collect tickets at that station you may do so at one of the FastTicket machines on the concourse.

UK
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Heathrow to Hotel Continental in Harwich

"The change at Holborn involves stairs up, stairs down, a long escalator ride and a walk of about 45 minutes on the flat, plus stairs up at Liverpool Street."

45 minutes??!! I hope you weren't being serious! 5-10, no more than that. But I agree that changing at Holborn isn't ideal with heavy baggage.

We probably all have our own favourite step-free routes between Heathrow and Liverpool Street. I never thought about changing at King's Cross so I don't know what it's like (doesn't it involve a fair bit of walking?). My step-free route from Heathrow to Liverpool Street is Piccadilly Line to Hammersmith, Hammersmith & City Line from there (it involves exiting the station and crossing a road, but I've not found that to be a problem). Another step-free route I've heard people mention involves a change at Earl's Court and somewhere else, but I can't remember the "somewhere else"

London
Level Contributor
10,052 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Heathrow to Hotel Continental in Harwich

"walk of about 45 minutes on the flat"

I suspect a keyboard moment and 4/5 minutes was the intended message.

Harwich, Essex
Level Contributor
167 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Heathrow to Hotel Continental in Harwich

You are probably best to not change trains at Colchester as trains to Harwich are connection trains and run from Manningtree to Harwich, so if you get off at Colchester you'll probably only have to change again at Manningtree!!. Not many trains go from Colchester to Harwich, or direct from Liverpool Street to Harwich. For Hotel Continental get off at Dovercourt Station, it is a short walk through Dovercourt High Street and then up Cliff Road & along the seafront to the hotel. If you have bags though I recommend getting a cab (01255 503000 or 01255 240042) to the hotel. It will cost aprox £4.

UK
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Heathrow to Hotel Continental in Harwich

"You are probably best to not change trains at Colchester as trains to Harwich are connection trains and run from Manningtree to Harwich, so if you get off at Colchester you'll probably only have to change again at Manningtree!"

If you check connections at nationalrail.co.uk you will find that there are direct trains from Colchester to Harwich at 1624 and 1724. These timings seem to fit in quite nicely with the OP's itinerary, which is why I suggested them.

I'm sure you will agree that given the choice a change at Colchester is much preferable to a change at Manningtree as it involves no stairs.

9. Re: Transportation from Heathrow to Hotel Continental in Harwich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 06:19