We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Semi Private travel and tour Harwich to Heathrow

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Semi Private travel and tour Harwich to Heathrow

We will be getting off our cruise on a Friday morning l July2014(in Harwich) . Will be flying back to the states the next morning very early, so I booked a airport hotel for the one night.

For transportation to the cruise I chose the bus that picks us up right at our hotel the morning of.. The return the bus leaves early (7:45) - it does make a stop at the Tower of London, but we have been through that. I don't want to get to our airport hotel at noon..

My perfect return solution would be to hire a private company with a mini bus for 6-12 people.. (I'm sure there are others on my cruise staying one night at an airport hotel) get off the boat a little later 9-10, maybe spend a little time in Harwich? Take a tour/scenic drive/visit somewhere? on our way way to Heathrow, arriving late afternoon. Has anyone ever done this? Who do call/hire? Where to go?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Semi Private travel and tour Harwich to Heathrow

Go onto TripAdvisor's sister site, Cruise Critic.

You will find a roll-call for your particular cruise and will be able to hook up with others on your cruise who might be interested in your proposal.

www.cruisecritic.co.uk

Another alternative (if it runs for your cruise) is to get the direct cruise train that departs Harwich International at 09.03 and arrives in London (Liverpool Street) at 10.21. Leave your luggage at the left luggage and explore London for the day. Pick up your luggage again later and make your way to your Heathrow hotel.

International Friends can also do 'tailor-made' transfers.

internationalfriends.co.uk/shore-excursions-…

Edited: 30 March 2014, 14:15
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,345 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Semi Private travel and tour Harwich to Heathrow

A colleague recommended Starlings Taxis of Harwich for this sort of thing, but I haven't used them myself.. Harwich itself is a charming old town (where the Mayflower set sail from) and a private hire vehicle could probably take you on a tour of the Constable country, round Dedham vale and Manningtree, en route for Heathrow

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Semi Private travel and tour Harwich to Heathrow

wirewiper~ thank you for your help. I know all about cruise critic :) have been on there for 10+ years! I am on the roll call for our cruise. For the bus we are using international friends, so I will look into their tailor made transfer.. We will be spending time in London prior to leaving and have visited before as well, so have seen much of London. I would like to see other towns or sites, the little I have seen of the English countryside is very pretty.

Do you have any suggestions to do/see in between Harwich and Heathrow, or should I ask the tour company for suggestions?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Semi Private travel and tour Harwich to Heathrow

I think loughtonian's suggestion of Constable Country is a good one. The Essex/Suffolk border area is very beautiful and not on the usual tourist radar.

I think the small medieval town of Lavenham would blow your mind away.

http://www.discoverlavenham.co.uk/

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,345 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Semi Private travel and tour Harwich to Heathrow

If you wanted the most scenic (but not fastest!) route Harwich - Heathrow, and were with a private driver I'd suggest:

Constable country and Dedham*

Sudbury*-Castle Hedingham*-Wethersfield-Finchingfield*-Gt Bardfield* - Dunmow -Epping* -A104 through Epping Forest to Woodford then the A406 to Heathrow

with brief stops/photo-refreshment breaks at the place marked *

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Semi Private travel and tour Harwich to Heathrow

That's what I'm talking about! Someplace beautiful to see and visit, that isn't necessarily all that touristy! I have already emailed for info on private tour with International Friends. Will do so to Starling Taxis as well.

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Semi Private travel and tour Harwich to Heathrow

FYI: Starlings taxi's is no longer in business.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 20:51
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,345 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Semi Private travel and tour Harwich to Heathrow

So I now hear. Contact recommends instead Tendring Travel of Thorpe-le-Soken

www.tendringtravel.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Semi Private travel and tour Harwich to Heathrow

I had been looking for email for Starlings taxis and could not find! Guess that is why.. I have just contacted tendringtravel.

Last weekend I sent an email to who we booked our bus to the cruise ship on in regards to a private tour, and they did not really respond at all to what I was asking for..

10. Re: Semi Private travel and tour Harwich to Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 07:16