We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killing time "near" Harwich

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Killing time "near" Harwich

We're getting the ferry to/from Denmark this August.

I suspect our plan will be to eat lunch "near" on the days we leave and return. We'll have our 7 year old with us who could probably benefit from a walk for a mile or so or perhaps running around a beach on both occasions (our nearest beach at home is a good hour away). She isn't fussy about sand quality, but I'd prefer somewhere that perhaps isn't too full of chip shops and arcades. I'd be fine with a carpark and an icecream van if it meant the place was less busy on 2 X August Saturdays (I'm sure we'll just be waterproofed up in any rain too!).

Thinking back to food, we all enjoy fish and seafood (but not essential)...this won't be our main meal...but we don't mind paying a few £'s for a good quality food. If we take her out for a meal in a restaurant we usually pick a place where the chef is happy to serve a 1/2 portion and happy to tweak things a tiny bit (or she'll scoff fish/chicken and chips of any standard kids menu).

Can anybody think of a few places within about 30-60 minutes of Harwich?

I read an earlier winter thread recommending the Butt & Oyster (looked a lovely location...and I don't mind booking...but I suspect that food might take ages to arrive at busy times?). Should I be looking for somewhere near Walton on the Naze and Frinton? Is traffic an issue we need to plan for in August?

It is also worth considering that I might try to sneak in a cheap overnight stay at the start/end so I can visit Audley End as I am sure that must be "almost" on the way from Bath to Harwich!

Thanks in advance

PS: I hate these sorts of qns on the Bath forum

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killing time "near" Harwich

Hi Sue,

Consider a stop in Colchester just off your route A12/120 we assume.

Much revolves around your child so convenient central parking, perhaps at

colchester.gov.uk/article/3194/St-Marys-CBC-…

Eat well and simply

http://www.northhillnoodlebar.co.uk/#

Attraction:-

The Castle is just about to re-open after the Princess Royal visit and is state of art for children's imagination.

visitcolchester.com/Colchester-Colchester-Ca…

Add the child delights in the Castle gardens and a chance to run about safely

visitcolchester.com/Colchester-Castle-Park-a…

Audley End is delightful, but it is a diversion quite some way off-route to Harwich.

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

On return route if still appeals?

A beach? Perhaps consider

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1526432…

and accommodation ideas in the website

tripadvisor.co.uk/…LNK_TTD

Just ideas about 40 minutes drive. Colchester from/to Harwich.

We advise you book favoured accommodation for August.

Regards

Edited: 28 April 2014, 22:11
Essex
Level Contributor
28,412 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killing time "near" Harwich

All the beaches along that part of the Essex coast are lovely sandy beaches.

Frinton-on-Sea is famous for having a very uncommercial and old-fashioned seaside. No arcades, just peaceful seaside, lovely beach, massive greensward to run around on when the tide is in. The sea comes right up and fully covers the beach, so you do need some alternatives.

Walton-on-the-Naze has more gaudy attractions, but IMO is still an attractive enough place, the Pier is the 2nd longest in the world, and well worth a visit, and all the beach huts along the Naze and down towards Frinton are a spectacular sight.

Dovercourt IMO is rather dull, but has the nearest beaches to Harwich, and still good ones.

The Heritage Walk in Harwich might interest you, and again there is plenty of grassy greensward there, for the little'un to run around on.

Within Harwich, then "The Pier" is hard to beat for good food IMO, especially fish, but there are other good places....

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,579 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killing time "near" Harwich

Constable country, centred on Dedham, plus Manningtree and Mistley for the adults, Dovercourt beach for the sprogs!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killing time "near" Harwich

Great suggestions everybody. I am sure that lot will keep us amused.

London, UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killing time "near" Harwich

There's good fish in Harwich at the Pier (as mentioned) and the Alma, and a nice, generally quiet, mostly sandy beach about five minutes' walk from those two.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Killing time "near" Harwich

A belated thanks for all the suggestions everybody

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Killing time "near" Harwich

Just to update you all, we had a great lunch this Sunday at the Alma. The traffic wasn't great the week before, so we scrapped plans to loiter beyond a leisurely lunch.

The ferry was ££££, but it was a hassle-free way to get to Denmark. It's a shame the route is being scrapped next month.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,412 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Killing time "near" Harwich

OH!

Thank you for the update sueduncBATH Have had "Aged P" problems, so not been on the forum for some days.

Glad you found something to suit you in/around the area, even if it was only a good dinner - hopefully a GREAT dinner, eh?

I agree with you, the demise of the Harwich-Esbjerg Ferry is a great shame, but commercial pressure in this day and age - what can I say??

9. Re: Killing time "near" Harwich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2015, 06:17