We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visting Alnmouth on 16th Feb - top tips please

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Visting Alnmouth on 16th Feb - top tips please

Husband and I getting away for much needed break and decided to stay an hour down the road in Alnmouth. We'll have a car.

We know a little about the are but I'd love any top tips or hidden gems. We like to walk, so are going to pootle along to Warkworth if the weather's ok and we'll be visiting Alnwick too.

Thanks!

Katy

5 replies to this topic
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visting Alnmouth on 16th Feb - top tips please

Barter Books in Alnwick is an amazing place to visit. We also loved the new(ish) Alnwick Gardens.

barterbooks.co.uk

We had dinner at the treehouse which was also very enjoyable. The food was good - not wonderful but not bad either, but the surroundings were terrific.

alnwickgarden.com/eat/eat-in-the-treehouse

Warkworth Castle was interesting too.

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visting Alnmouth on 16th Feb - top tips please

Cragside is just a short drive away:

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/cragside/…

Rothbury is also a nice little town to explore

A bit further is Belsay Hall:

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

If you get good weather (and no snow!) drive the road up Coquetdale through Alwinton and Carlcroft to the end of the road high in the Pennines. You can download details of a walk from Alwinton here:

leaflets.ntads.co.uk/index.php…

Walk from Craster to Dunstanburgh Castle (although the castle will be closed on 16th)

mj6
manchester england
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visting Alnmouth on 16th Feb - top tips please

if you are staying in alnmouth a must for a meal is the red lion i have been there i number of occasions and never had a bad meal

if it is cold there is a real fire in near the bar

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
102 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visting Alnmouth on 16th Feb - top tips please

Hi! So many options for things to do! If you like to walk then you must head up to Craster and walk along to the beautiful ruins of Dunstanburgh Castle and on to the sands of Embleton and Low Newton (where the Ship Inn is highly recommended). It's my favourite walk in Northumberland and shouldn't be missed if the weather's ok.

This website has things to do and where to eat and drink in Alnmouth yournorthumberland.co.uk/area-guides/alnmouth

The Red Lion is great for food and if it's sunny they have a decked area that looks out over the estuary, great views.

It's half term so there's lots of things to do, have a look through the events lists here and see if anything takes your fancy. www.yournorthumberland.co.uk/events/february

Wallington Hall and Cragside House and Gardens (both fantastic National Trust properties) are open free of charge during the week and both are worth visiting. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time whatever you do!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visting Alnmouth on 16th Feb - top tips please

Thank you so much for all your recommendations - we are keen walkers so will definitely go to craster. We are staying at The Red Lion, so we are looking forward to some hospitality there!

Thanks again - katy

Reply to: Visting Alnmouth on 16th Feb - top tips please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alnmouth