We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Lodging around Kelso

Cleveland
3 posts
Save Topic
Cheap Lodging around Kelso

A friend and I are planning a trip to Kelso in the middle of September 06. Our funds are limited and we don't expect to be wined and dined anyway, so a stay in the finest hotel isn't necessary---just a place to sleep. We'll be on the go for the three days we are there.

Any suggestions -- B&B's, hostels any suggestions at all are appreciated.

Also, which airport would be closest to Kelso. We're coming in from the States.

Thanks in advance.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Lodging around Kelso

I stayed at a B&B called Abbey Bank in Kelso a few years ago and loved it, took me a while to find it but it's on TA so if you put the name into the search function you will find it.

Cost at the time was about £40 per night for twin room including full breakfast.

The B&B was right by the ruins of the abbey and quiet; the streets of Kelso are cobbled and while quaint to look at they are terribly noisy with the tires of cars rumbling over them!

Had dinner at a place called Waggon Wheel on the town square that was very good and not expensive.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Lodging around Kelso

The nearest airport would be Edinburgh but you're not likely to be able to fly there from the US. Kelso's not too far from the border with England so Newcastle airport's about the same distance as Edinburgh. You will need to fly into one of the major International airports and either hire a car or get a regional connecting flight.

If you can get a flight into Glasgow its a couple of hours drive. More likely you'll land at Heathrow or Gatwick (both London)or possibly Manchester.

Stonehaven, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Lodging around Kelso

We flew from Edinburgh to NY in December, I think it was a Continental flight.

If you intend travelling around in the Scottish Borders I think it would be advisable to hire a car, bus services are not that great.

Queens Head Bistro in Kelso is an excellent place to eat.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Lodging around Kelso

Stellaahh! Sorry to butt in on your thread but just wanted to say I simply love your moniker! Marlon Brando was at his best when he yelled that!

Cleveland
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Lodging around Kelso

Why thank you Livinglife. There is something memorable about Brando and STELLAAHH!!

Re: my intial post---I have booked a B&B in Ancrum which is about 14 miles outside of Kelso. Since we are commuting every day to and from Kelso, hiring a car is really the only way. Also, this B&B allows dogs and one of the people in small group is bringning a dog back with her. We also have hooked up with two cyberfriends from the UK who will be meeting us and staying with us at the B&B. The last day we have free and we plan on driving the backroads of Scotland, hopefully north of Edinburgh.

Any and all suggestions still appreciated and welcome.

Signing off-----

STELLAAHH! :0)))

Get answers to your questions about Kelso
Recent Conversations
More Kelso Topics