We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harris in May

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Harris in May

Hi all,

I'm (56 yr old female) driving up to Harris in May through Skye and on the ferry and have booked a self catering cottage in Tarbert. Have been to Skye and the Highlands a few times but never to the Outer Hebrides. I'll be there for a week and plan to spend a good few days relaxing in Harris itself seeing the beaches and maybe take a trip up to Lewis to see the Standing Stones etc. I like walking up to around 7 miles and can do some moderate climbs. Also into photography and wildlife and and general peace and quiet and great scenery.

Will it be worth a trip to North Uist while I am there? Or should I just concentrate on Harris/Lewis? I have a car so can travel around a bit.

Also, I am coming on my own - does anyone have any suggestions of cafes/bars etc where you won't feel like a lemon on your tod?

Any other suggestions of places I should not miss would be very welcome. I've read the guidebooks but personal recommendations of less obvious places would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance!

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
11. Re: Harris in May

Love the idea of those walks with the views Scotlandmac. Thanks for all your suggestions, I am getting excited now, have been wanting to go to the outer Hebrides for a long time! I think I'd better try to book ferry to North uist in advance to take the car over one day. If I can't I'll just go over as a foot passenger I think and do that walk around Berneray.

wales, uk
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
12. Re: Harris in May

A tip report would be good if you ar there first half of May. We go end of May and will look out for you in the cqfes!! We are open to talking !!!

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
13. Re: Harris in May

hi RolfeWales, I'm there 13-20 May, I'll try to get a report up as soon as I get back so maybe before you go! Have a great trip.

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
14. Re: Harris in May

we stayed in Berneray in September and its easy to go over on the Leverburgh ferry for the day and walk the Berneray loop , I didn't do the whole walk in one day but parts of it over the week , the highlight is the 3 miles of the West Beach and the fantastic views over to Harris , more details and other walks are on the www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ website,

have a great time

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
15. Re: Harris in May

thank you mcaleescook. May well do that one. Looks like the weather is on the turn next week but still hoping things may change again and I can see it all at its best.

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
16. Re: Harris in May

just to say thanks to everyone who helped me plan this trip. It was fantastic, the west coast beaches were as amazing as I'd hoped and I got to see them in the sunshine! I went to lewis and saw the stones, the black house village, Carloway broch, did some great walks to the eagle observatory, scalpay lighthouse and a loop around Luskentyre. I went to some lovely cafes including Skoon, Temple, First Fruits, and croft 36! And the galleries were also fab, loved Willie Fulton and bought a print from Moira Fulton. i am in possession of a bottle of Harris gin after touring the distillery. I failed to make it to North Uist so need to go back. Will try to write trip report with photos when I have some more time. Thanks again all.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
530 reviews
17. Re: Harris in May

Great to hear it all went so well and the weather played ball too!

18. Re: Harris in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2018, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Harris