We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good places to eat

Rome
3 posts
Save Topic
Good places to eat

I'll be coming to Harris in August, could anyone help me with suggestions for the best places to eat for lunch, seafood above all.

Thanks!

scotland
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good places to eat

The Harris hotel is good, old fashioned and good local seafood ( Tarbert) The Skoon Art cafe is good for lunch with fesh soups and baking.

Rodel hotel seems to have good reviews for food.

Some guest houses also provide an evening meal, depends where you want to stay ?

Rome
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good places to eat

Thanks Heblady for your suggestions. We've rented a holiday home on the west coast, and I imagine that after touring around Harris and Lewis during the day we will probably be staying in for dinner. But we'll definitely be trying all the places you mentioned for lunch. Any tips for good places to eat in Lewis?

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
879 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good places to eat

We had dinner June 22 at Digby Chicks in Stornoway. The food was excellent and the service was very friendly. Dinner for two with wine cost about seventy pounds. The place was filled, even on a Tuesday night. Many of the patrons appeared to be locals celebrating special occasions.

One to avoid is Doune Braes hotel dining room in Carloway. Mediocre food, ridiculously slow service.

Outer Hebrides...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good places to eat

Hotel Hebrides in Tarbert, Harris is nice fir food.

In Stornoway, Digby's, Boatshed and the Caberfeidh always have good food.

Further north, up in Ness, Borve House and Port Beach House are meant to be very good. Stop at Morvern Gallery on way up to Ness for fab coffee and cakes, lovely art work on show at the moment.

Edited: 28 July 2010, 21:04
scotland
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good places to eat

In Lewis..Borve House ( on road to Ness)

Caberfeidh Hotel is good for lunch and an early bird dinner.

There is new Indian restaurant in town across from police station..very good..County hotel is also good

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good places to eat

If in Tarbert, I'd try the Hotel Hebrides. There is a restaurant or you can eat in the bar. The bar food is fantastic and comprable to a lot of restaurant food in my opinion. The staff are also very friendly and accomodating.

I'd avoid the Harris Hotel; expensive for what it is, very old fashioned and living on its former glory in my view.

If near Geocrab the Skoon Art Cafe is nice with good food but limited in what it offers. Also be aware that they suffer from the Scottish disease and will only serve tea and coffee after 3.30 even though all of their dishes are cold, therefore don't need much praparation.

Rome
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good places to eat

Thanks everyone you've all been of great help!!!!

8. Re: Good places to eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Harris