We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blackhouse accommodation?

West Coast NZ
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Blackhouse accommodation?

I suspect from research the answer is 'No' but just checking ...

We would like to stay in blackhouse accommodation while visiting the Western Isles. Gearrannan has a house available but it's GBP100 per night which is way above our budget but possible I guess if it's worth the experience? Are there any other options available? Have looked at Borvemor and Tigh Bhisa but both are self-catering for week long stays. There seem to be some other S/c places too but only for longer stays.

Gearrannan is same price for one or two nights (GBP200) so would have to stay two nights!

The hostel at Gearrannan is shut and the bunk-house can only be hired as a whole.

Many thanks.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,424 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blackhouse accommodation?

Which house? What week? I can see £99 for two nights, which seems a bargain to me. Are you looking at the one that sleeps 5?

West Coast NZ
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blackhouse accommodation?

I am looking for two people, mid May. In reply to an enquiry I was told the smallest cottage (sleeps 2) would be GBP155, so I presumed mid May would be classified High season.

Quote "For Taigh Thormoid an ic iain you would need to arrive on the Saturday as staff are off on Sunday. Price for 1 or 2 nights is £155.00 inclusive of lighting and heating, linen and towels."

However that cottage has since been booked so the other two are GBP200, High season.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blackhouse accommodation?

There's a hostel at Rhenigidale, just North of Tarbert toward Loch Seaforth that will cost you around a tenner a night, although that was a couple of years ago. It's a good two hour drive from Gearrannan though, so not sure if that's what you're looking for.

There's also a hostel in Stornoway, (the Heb hostel I think it's called).

Edited: 29 March 2012, 10:31
4. Re: Blackhouse accommodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Harris