We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Kennels at Leverburgh

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Day Kennels at Leverburgh

Can anyone help.

We are going to Leverburgh in June with the intention of going to St Kilda. It is an all day trip, so need a day kennel for our springer.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Kennels at Leverburgh

I don't think there is a kennels on Harris. I suggest you phone Angus at Kilda Cruises, or Seamas at Sea Harris (depending on who you are booked with) and ask them if they have got any suggestions - e.g.a local dog lover who would be able to look after your dog for the day. It's probably happened before, after all.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Kennels at Leverburgh

Thank you for your advise. We will try Seamus

scotland
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Kennels at Leverburgh

There are no dog boarding places in Harris..only in Lewis

Emsworth, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Kennels at Leverburgh

When are you going? I have a sister on Harris who might be able to help.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Kennels at Leverburgh

Thank you so much for your offer of help with our Springer.

We are now sorted. the owner of where we are stayng is looking after our dog.

Everything apart from the weather is now all arranged.!

Edited: 21 April 2013, 16:09
Skipton, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Kennels at Leverburgh

I am planning a trip to The Outer Hebrides next Spring and would love also to visit St Kilda but reserved with having our dogs with us - would you be able to tell me where you stayed and were so kind to dog sit?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Kennels at Leverburgh

Our holiday to The Outer Hebrides was fantastic. We were lucky to have great weather and our trip to St Kilda

exceeded all expectations. We stayed at Flodabay Farm. They do B & B and take three motorhomes/caravans.

The views from the plots were amazing and Tony and Sharon could not do enough for their visitors. The site is some 20 minutes from Leverburgh in a remote spot at Flodabay.We loved it. They looked after our springer from 7:00 in the morning until 19:45. She was well looked after, taken for walks and stayed in the farmhouse.

Hope this is of help to you.

Skipton, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Kennels at Leverburgh

Thank you so much for your prompt reply - that's brilliant as was also thinking of taking the caravan so works perfectly if they are happy with a border and Irish terrier for the day! Which month did you go in?Planning to do all the islands - harris, lewis, barra, uists and skye - any other tips/must do's?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Kennels at Leverburgh

Hi There

We had an overnight stop at Bunree Caravan Club Site, Onich on our

way to Ullapool where we caught the ferry to Stornaway. The site at Ullapool

was minutes away from the dock and very handy for walking into the town.

We had a good meal at the Arch Inn.

On Lewis we drove to Uig, where the beaches are fantastic. We stayed 3 nights on the site there

but loved it so much we could have stayed weeks. The weather was fantastic and the sun did not set until

gone 11pm. There is a very good community shop there where you can get most things and the site had toilets and showers.

On Harris we stayed at the wonderful Flodabay Farm. No showers or toilets but wonderful views. Plots 1 and 2 are the best. Beaches on the other side of the island fantastic. Easy drive to get there.

Skoon Art Cafe nearby worth a visit for the food as is the pub at Rodel

The trip to Kilda was worth every penny we paid. We booked the end of Jan. and even then

had to wait to see if they would be putting a second boat on. Our weather was overcast with low cloud

and drizzle.

Crossed from Leverburgh to Berneray. Then drove from North Uist to South Uist where we styed at

Kilbride Camping. Great site by the sea. Facilities included binoculars in the kitchen! The walled garden

next door worth a visit as was the Polochar Inn. Walking good from the site but never spotted the otters.

Drove over the causeway to Eriskay to catch the ferry to Barra. Eriskay is just lovely. Well worth

spending some time there.

At Barra we stayed at Croft nos 2 Eoligarry. Yet another site with good views. Only stayed one night

Our return ferry was to Oban which was a long crossing. As with all the boats there are special seating areas for owners and dogs. All dogs on board were well behaved. We could not fit Syke into our time schedule but will definitely return one day.

Hope this is of help to you.

Sue

Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Kennels at Leverburgh

I have the same issue! have booked week of 13th Sept 2014 (staying self catering near Leverburgh) with my springer but would also like to see St Kilda!! I won't be camping - so if anyone sees this post and can come up with a solution to look after a well behaved welsh springer for the day - please let me know! will contact the boats people in the meantime !!

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Harris