We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take car to Harris?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
854 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Take car to Harris?

I'm going to be hiring a car for my trip around Scotland next year, and have decided on an overnight stay on Harris, so the question is should I bring my hire car over, or leave it somewhere in Uig and hire over there? The ferry will be a little more expensive, but most of that will be swallowed up by car hire in Lewis and bus fares. Also, it just seems easier to keep it rather than trying to find somewhere to dump it overnight in Uig.

It seems odd to think about hiring a car while I'm hiring a car, so am I missing something?

19 replies to this topic
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take car to Harris?

What you're missing by departing from and returning to Uig, is the opportunity to traverse the Outer Hebrides I Lewis and Harris are different, albeit one island, then North and South Uist, and Benbecula in the middle, are very different again, and you have the opportunity to take the ferry to Oban when you get to Lochboisdale or Barra.

I like ferries, the sea, the slow pace of life, and slow meandering, and walking in wild places. For me, that western island traverse is spectacular. But it may or may not fit your timeframe.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
854 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take car to Harris?

Yeah, unfortunately on this trip, I'll only be able to get one (or I guess 2) of the Outer Hebrides due to time constraints.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take car to Harris?

Hard to advise, as we don't know the details of your trip, but it may be more rewarding to spend the time on Skye or Wester Ross, for example..

I agree with Derek - the Hebrides mean slowing down, not rushing......

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
854 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take car to Harris?

peterscot, Derek G, tks for your responses. I'm still working out the details of the trip, but I have time both before and after the overnight on Harris to explore other parts of the area. What I'm looking for with op is advice on whether I should bring my hire car with me to Harris, or leave it in Uig and hire when I'm over there. It looks to be slightly cheaper to hire over there, but bringing the car is more convenient and I can start exploring Harris and Lewis immediately on landing.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,596 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Take car to Harris?

There's a big car park at Uig, so you will easily be able to leave your own car there and go across to Tarbert as a foot passenger. But if the cost saving over taking your own car on the ferry is only small, I'd be inclined to take your own car over for the sake of convenience.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
854 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Take car to Harris?

Tks Dhmellor, that's what I needed to know. I'll check specifics closer to the time, but it's good to know about the car park

scotland
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Take car to Harris?

I would take the car..Public transport is sporadic... You need the car for exploring the Island

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Take car to Harris?

The islands all have buses, but they're really aimed at the local populace and in particular school transport. That means they may not go the places you want or at the times you want ...

Currently the return car fare Uig to Tarbert is £57, plus £11 per person, which is probably more than one day's hire on the island, and less than two. I imagine it won't be that much different next Summer - Calmac don't charge exorbitant tourist prices.

Level Contributor
1 post
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Take car to Harris?

You need a car. You also need more than a day but that's your call. Your only other alternative, realistically, is to check out the CalMac daytrip options from Uig. They take you on a whistle-stop tour of the Uists and Harris by minibus and coach. You get a few stops along the way for photo opportunities.

Level Contributor
3,386 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Take car to Harris?

Don't agree with the need for a car, the buses on the Outer Hebrides are some of the best of any Scotland island or islands. Its cheaper and means you concentrate on the views, not the road in front. Having been to Scotland with and without cars. I'd definitely choose the latter for 90% of trips.

Reply to: Take car to Harris?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Harris