We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking on Harris

Canterbury
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Walking on Harris

I'm a solo traveler going to Harris in early June. Are there any guided walks, is it relatively safe to walk alone??

1. Re: Walking on Harris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2016, 13:00
Edited: 15 January 2016, 13:00
Canterbury
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking on Harris

Thank you - very helpful.

3. Re: Walking on Harris

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 19:38
Isle of Harris...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking on Harris

There are other walk providers. Try Googling hillwalking in Harris.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking on Harris

Try www.walkhighlands.co.uk/outer-hebrides/ which lists lots of routes on Lewis and Harris. This site contains route descriptions and good quality maps.

Yes you can seek guided walks, but these may not coincide with your visit. The routes mentioned on WH vary from easy to energetic, and as far as walking alone is concerned, I'd day:

it's perfectly safe to walk alone. I dont think you will be attacked. In fact you are rarely along on Scottish hills; they're popular.

Some people get nervous about navigation. If the weather's cloudy, stick to lower/shorter routes where you are unlikely to get lost. Of course a lot depends on navigation expertise and previous experience ...

Read up what WH says about kit. Harris is not the same as a walk along the banks of the Stour.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,774 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking on Harris

Going solo and walking in Scotland is safe to do. You may even meet other walkers on well trodden paths or those taking their dogs for a walk. Nice way to meet people.

I walk for hours alone and used to have a little pocket pack with a whistle in it to attract attention should the case arise. let someone at your accommodation know where you are going and what time they can expect you back. It is easy enough to mention this casually at reception. That way if you get lost or twist and ankle people will miss you and know where to send someone to look.

Isle of Harris...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking on Harris

Just to pick up on a couple of things from Derek G and suebovington's good advice: although a whistle is better than nothing, don't trust your life to one. When I was undergoing my training in the Cairngorms our instructor had us test how close we needed to be to hear a whistle. Even on open ground you need to be surprisingly near and in undulating terrain with a wind (like here in Harris) you have to be almost on top of someone to hear them whistle. Which brings me to the other point: I am often out all day on these hills and never see another soul, so don't expect anyone to come by. Unless you are on the Clisham, where I have occasionally seen as many as a dozen people strung out along the route up from the 'official' car park. My advice is the same as Derek and Sue with this addition: make sure your mobile is charged up and always have a rough idea, to within say 100m, where you are so you can tell the Coastguards/Mountain Rescue in the event of an emergency. Hope you enjoy your visit here.

8. Re: Walking on Harris

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2016, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Harris