We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ceredigion - cardigan bay area

Which Cardigan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
ceredigion - cardigan bay area

Hi all!

We are in our 40s, with a son 5 and daughter 7 (and a half!), also taking Mum of 77 with us. We are staying in Plwmp near Cardigan. in August. Any info anyone could provide on good days out, events, eateries, beaches, anything we ought to avoid would be most gratefully received.

Thanks everyone! :0)

12 replies to this topic
Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ceredigion - cardigan bay area

you have picked a nice part of the world to visit, there are some great towns to visit, Aberystwth,Aberaeron, Cardigan, Newcastle emlyn, Borth, New Quay, some with great beaches, the harbour master in Aberaeron is a nice place to eat and about 10 miles from Plwmp.Devils bridge train ride from aberystwyth to devils bridge village passes a few relaxing hours.

Anyway, check out the web sites below which gives you loads of info and if there is anything else just ask

tourism.ceredigion.gov.uk/saesneg/beaches.htm

visitcardigan.com/cardigan-festivals-and-eve…

cardiganshirecoastandcountry.com/whats-on-ev…

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ceredigion - cardigan bay area

Sorry, forgot to mention, about an hours drive from Plwmp there is Oakwood,Folly Farm and Bluestone, for the young ones and the not so young ones, also Carmarthen is worth a visit on market days(wed and sat)

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,396 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ceredigion - cardigan bay area

Dozydai has done an excellent job there.

Another nice thing to do is to go and see dolphins. From New Quay harbour you can watch them out at sea. Or alternatively hire a boat for a closer experience.

www.newquay-westwales.co.uk/dolphins.htm

Chester, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ceredigion - cardigan bay area

Hi there. Thank you very much indeed for your suggestions - I cannot wait until we go now! Dai mentioned Bluestone and I've had a quick "shufty" at the website - Dai do you know if they offer anything to non residents please? I can see they do day passes for the spa at £49-50 per person (includes a 25 min facial. Looks fantastic, although a little pricey, but probably worth it as lots of different spa areas there. Dai did you have a particular reason for mentioning Bluestone please? Thanks

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
648 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ceredigion - cardigan bay area

Cenarth falls near Newcastle Emlyn has a coracle museum, you may even see some of these little boats on the river there. There are also some lovely walks along the riverside. Keep your eyes peeled too, as there has been several sightings of a golden eagle in Ceredigion. A work colleague of mine saw it a few weeks ago, near Newcastle Emlyn.

Chester, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ceredigion - cardigan bay area

Thanks we will certainly look out for the Golden Eagle and try to visit Cenarth. Thanks very much. I wonder does anyone know of anywhere where I could go for a pamper nr Pwlmp without it costing a fortune? Was thinking of beauty treatment (boy how I need one!!) or sauna\steam room etc? Also anyone know any good pubs nearby - one that has bands would be wonderful? Thanks everyone :o)

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ceredigion - cardigan bay area

Hi again,

yeah, I know you can go to Bluestone for the day, friends of mine go to the blue lagoon with its wave machine/flume etc, there is also the steep ravine, adventure centre, most centred on the youngsters, send them an e mail and ask.As you can imagine, Plwmp is not exactly the centre of the universe when it comes to beauty treatments, or anything else come to think about it, but check this out

http://www.yell.com/s/beauty+salons-llechryd-cardigan.html

check pubs in New quay or Cardigan on the internet for any where with music

ps, if you see my rugged features, you will know I am not an xpert on beauty treatments lol

check out this site for new quay,aberaeron and the dolphins

http://www.newquay-westwales.co.uk/

Edited: 06 August 2011, 19:11
Chester, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ceredigion - cardigan bay area

Hi again Dai thanks for the info I will certainly check those out. Bluestone looks lovely - I think we'll be heading off there for sure. I have emailed them for info so when I find out more I'll try to remember to update. You are so helpful - thanks so much-having your info will make a big difference to our hol + we really do appreciate you taking the trouble to reply.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ceredigion - cardigan bay area

Dont want to give you brain overload before your hols,but this is a good site to check out

http://www.minygraig.co.uk/areadetails.html

click on

area details

attractions

activities

Chester, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ceredigion - cardigan bay area

Hi there

Thank you very much for the info re dolphin spotting we shall certainly be taking a boat trip. Has anyone any info on which boat trip co. offers best value for money as some seem very expensive (or maybe I'm just too tight!!)? Also does anyone know of discount vouchers for Cardigan/Tenby areas please?

All info very gratefully received.

Thanks

Reply to: ceredigion - cardigan bay area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted