We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Topic
Do I need reservation for el calafate-el chalten bus

Hi I will be there in January. Is reservation necessary and when and where do you make reservation. Thanks.

netherlands
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need reservation for el calafate-el chalten bus

Here you may find schedules and some companies servicing between El Calafate and El Chalten: www.turismo.elcalafate.gov.ar/index.php…

In January - high season - I would make a reservation with one of the companies.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need reservation for el calafate-el chalten bus

There are a couple of bus companies (at least two) between these two towns in the high season. I think you will have more flexibility if you wait until you're there and know your exact plans. You may find Calafate disappointing if you're a true hiker and want to get to Chalten where you can walk to the mountain trails right from your hostel.

Once you have your tickets, you can also change the times/dates without penalty. Basically the buses leave each town at 8AM, 1PM, and I think 6:30PM. The trip takes three hours.

When you go to the glacier in El Calafate be sure you check the time for your return trip. We didn't and ended up with a bus that took us there at 9AM and brought us back at 5PM -- WAY TOO LONG!! We ended up paying another bus to bring us home early. We had walked all the "trails" (metal and wood walkways everywhere) by noon and then there's nothing to do and it's too far to just walk back to Calafate.

3. Re: Do I need reservation for el calafate-el chalten bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2011, 05:25