We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fitz Roy trek guide vs doing it on our own

Which El Chalten hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sun Valley, Idaho
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fitz Roy trek guide vs doing it on our own

My wife and I will be doing this trek in mid March. I am trying to get a handle on whether or not it is necessary/helpful to get a guide or join an expedition (any suggestions here will be helpful) or just do it by ourselves? Any suggestions?

Tim

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fitz Roy trek guide vs doing it on our own

El Chalten is all about accessible day hikes, though some people do multiple hikes and camp.

If you do the two classic day hikes, a guide is totally unnecessary. And, it depends on the weather. 50% chance things will cloud over and you will not see a thing. The trail to Lago Torre is easy, 6-7 hours return, the 9-10 hour hike to Lago de las Tres is easy except for a tough last 2 hour climb that would be problematic in wet weather (although there are many good lookouts on the way before it gets tough). The trails are well-marked.

The weather is why you need schedule flexibility so as to increase chances of getting a window of good weather. If you go all that way, you have to have some flexibility to make it worthwhile.

2. Re: Fitz Roy trek guide vs doing it on our own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 06:19